Remote event mapper

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.
Pako
Plugin Developer

Remote event mapper

Post by Pako » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:31 am

I have for you another new plugin.
__init__.py
Beta version 0.0.0
(49.64 KiB) Downloaded 747 times
If I remember correctly, so Bitmonster had a similar plugin in the ToDo list.
I think this plugin should be a long time ago.
Perhaps his absence was one reason why stottle began working on his fork.
I hope that the publication of this plugin will have at least such a response, what I expect ...

This plugin is designed for easy remapping of events from remote controls.
Using this plugin has several advantages:
1. This facilitates the transition from one type to another type of remote control
(or from one type of IR receiver to another type with the same type of remote control).
If you change your remote control, you need not go through the whole configuration tree
EventGhost and to all macros add new event string. Now you just add the new remote
control into a plugin Remote event mapper.

2. It facilitates the exchange EventGhost configuration files between users
3. If a remote control triggers two different events for each button (toggle-bit behavior),
the plugin allows you to use for each macro only one event

4. It makes configuration tree more comprehensible

The plugin allows you to export a conversion table for each remote control to an XML file.
This greatly facilitates the exchange of such conversion tables between the different users.

Pako
Attachments
RemoteEventMapper.jpg
You know flattr ? You can Image

jonib
Plugin Developer

Re: Remote event mapper

Post by jonib » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:18 am

I haven't tried it yet, but very cool 8) , and definitely something I have needed. :D

jonib
XBMC2 plugin to control XBMC. If you want to flatter me Image

Livin
Experienced User

Post by Livin » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:44 am

I will be trying this in the next day or so... this was something I asked BM for a long time ago.
setup... XBMC, W7MC for DVR & Live OTA TV, JRMC for multi-zone audio, EG, MiCasaVerde Vera3, USB-UIRT IR receiver, Harmony remote, 5.2 home theater system

Pako
Plugin Developer

Post by Pako » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:03 pm

So I do not know.
I thought that the reaction will be more.
For the first week, nine people downloaded the plugin.
But none of them did not write any experience. Maybe they were expecting something else entirely.
Maybe it's not working well. Or what is wrong?
Maybe I should do something else entirely. Here it seems that very few people are interested in this plugin.
But I do not know what is most needed to do. Because there is not (unfortunately) Bitmonster,
so maybe one of the administrators should design a plan and we could agree on what I should work.
When there are no feedback (even negative), so I have not got the joy of this work.

Pako

Livin
Experienced User

Post by Livin » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:30 pm

I've not had time, I hope to work with it tomorrow and let you know.
setup... XBMC, W7MC for DVR & Live OTA TV, JRMC for multi-zone audio, EG, MiCasaVerde Vera3, USB-UIRT IR receiver, Harmony remote, 5.2 home theater system

Livin
Experienced User

Post by Livin » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:22 pm

I installed and trying to set it up. I cannot figure out how to use it? Do I need to learn/send each IR signal? Since I already sent each signal and have them in the Context section, can I simply drag or copy them to your plugin? It would be very time consuming to re-learn all the commands I already have setup.

can you white up a short How-to?

jonib
Plugin Developer

Post by jonib » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:19 pm

Livin wrote:Do I need to learn/send each IR signal?
Any you want to remap you need to relearn.
It would be very time consuming to re-learn all the commands I already have setup.
Yup, but the next time you will only need to learn ones.
can you white up a short How-to?
Step 1: Type name of remote in "Remote control name:", press Add remote. Now select the remote in the "List of remotes" list.
Step 2: Type in the event prefix that your remote plugin uses in "Native remote prefix:" (The part of the remote event that don't change)
Step 3: Press "Add item" then press the button of the remote you want to remap, then type in the remote button name ("Button label"), then type in the desired event suffix to remap to. ("Common event suffix")

Now when ever pressing the remapped button it will create a new event ("Common event prefix").("Remapped event suffix")

jonib

Livin
Experienced User

Post by Livin » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:34 pm

If Pako could just make it so I could copy/paste the existing codes it would be 10x faster. I'm not going to relearn the codes... takes too long and at this point everything I have works fine so the plugin is not a requirement for me... I just wanted to help test it.

jonib
Plugin Developer

Post by jonib » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:47 pm

I finally had a chance to try this out and great job Pako.

Damn, I wish I had this three remote plugins ago, would have saved me some unnecessary work. (as in I have had to reprogram all my stuff for three different remote plugins)

It took me a few moments to get how to do the config but when I got it it's almost perfect. :wink:

Unfortunately doing the buttons one at a time was not for me so I did a couple to see that it worked then I exported the remote config and did the rest of the buttons in an editor. I don't know if it was faster but I hate doing the same thing 40 times. :twisted: then I imported the .XML file and it works great.

I have one suggestion (and if you don't do it I will 8) ). There should be a button "Auto remap" that uses the list from "Common event suffixes" and asks to press a remote button to map to each suffix one by one. So first it shows for example Play then I press the Play button on the remote, then it shows Stop I press Stop on the remote, and then if my remote don't have that button I can skip by pressing a "skip" button or a button I have already mapped before to skip to the next. This would make it much faster to remap most buttons.

jonib

jonib
Plugin Developer

Post by jonib » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:51 pm

Livin wrote:I just wanted to help test it.
You don't need to remap all buttons to just test.

jonib

Pako
Plugin Developer

Post by Pako » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:03 pm

Livin and jonib:
Thank you for your feedback.
Livin wrote:If Pako could just make it so I could copy/paste the existing codes it would be 10x faster.
I do not think that copy/paste is 10 times faster way. You must first search string that you want to copy
and I do not think that pushing the button on the remote takes 10 times longer.
But of course I can to enable editing the appropriate field.
Livin wrote:I have works fine so the plugin is not a requirement for me... I just wanted to help test it.
It is clear that this plugin is expendable for each EG user who uses only one remote control and its configuration of EG already have done.
But even such a user, he may be forced to switch to other remote control.
jonib wrote:I have one suggestion (and if you don't do it I will 8) ). There should be a button "Auto remap" that uses the list from "Common event suffixes" and asks to press a remote button to map to each suffix one by one. So first it shows for example Play then I press the Play button on the remote, then it shows Stop I press Stop on the remote, and then if my remote don't have that button I can skip by pressing a "skip" button or a button I have already mapped before to skip to the next. This would make it much faster to remap most buttons.
Yes, that's a good idea. The current method is especially suitable for new users or the setting up a completely new configuration of EG.
For already finished and working configuration I have to do something like you propose.
Pako

Livin
Experienced User

Post by Livin » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:58 pm

The auto-remap is what a few other apps have, it does speed up the process.

Since I have bit flipped commands it doubles the work so copy/paste or, better yet, drag n drop, is ideal.

kalia
Experienced User

Post by kalia » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:36 am

Pako wrote: For the first week, nine people downloaded the plugin.
But none of them did not write any experience.
Pako,

I am one of the nine that downloaded this plugin. I have not used it yet. If you are the author of a plugin, I usually download it right away even if I can't figure out a use for it at the moment. You have written some very useful plugins and I would hate to miss out on something.

Thanks,

Kalia

Jay_M

Post by Jay_M » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:07 pm

I haven't used the plugin yet but am excited to try. I see a need in the future to have a database of already mapped remote controls. There would of course have to be a standard naming/mapping convention, but would make adding a new remote even faster.

I have the directv remote and have AV2 programmed as a different directv receiver. This allows me to use all of the buttons on the remote without interfering with my cable box. I could give the remote program code and anyone with this remote could use my mapping.

Coogan

Post by Coogan » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:56 am

I have the directv remote and have AV2 programmed as a different directv receiver. This allows me to use all of the buttons on the remote without interfering with my cable box. I could give the remote program code and anyone with this remote could use my mapping
Could you expand on how you did this? I'm trying to get my DirecTV RC32 remote to work, so I can control XBMC. And to say that I am lost is an understatement. Right now I can only get about half the buttons to work natively in XBMC. If I install the MCE plugin and disable the HID thing, I lose all remote functionality.

Coogan