Yamaha RX-Vxxx (or similar) Ethernet Plugin!

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.

Yamaha RX-Vxxx (or similar) Ethernet Plugin!

Postby birdapi » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:53 am

This is a plugin for EventGhost which allows you to control your Yamaha AV Receivers over the internet (local network). It should work with most/all Yamaha RX-Vxxx models which contain either an ethernet connection or a wireless connection. The computer running EventGhost should be on the same local network, or you will need to use port forwarding.

LINKS:

NOTICE:
BirdAPI and Dragon470 have teamed up and are collaborating on this new version of the plugin!
If you would like to view Dragon470's old and defunct version of the plugin, click HERE
If you would like to view BirdAPI's old and defunct version of the plugin, click HERE

EDIT (September 26th, 2013):
- Dragon470 has merged in his GetInfo functionality from his old plugin

EDIT (September 19th, 2013):
- Zone 2 is now working for a lot of things, as should zones 3 and 4 (untested)
- Ability to set the active zone with the "SetActiveZone" action, and any action you use that has "Active Zone" as its selected zone will apply to that zone. This allows you to use the same buttons for both zones, and just toggle the active zones to change what it controls at that moment.

EDIT (September 13th, 2013):
I have merged in some of changes in this thread, including:

Scene change fix (thanks DoXer!)

The following have been merged in from Dragon470's code, and I added a GUI for them:

Cursor Actions (Choose Main Zone / Zone 2):
Up, Down, Left, Right, Enter, Return, Option, Top Menu, Pop Up Menu

NumChar Actions (Choose Main Zone / Zone 2):
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, +10, ENT

Operation Actions (Choose Main Zone / Zone 2):
Play, Stop, Pause, Search-, Search+, Skip-, Skip+, FM, AM

I have also started some work on getting various things to work on Main Zone, Zone 2, Zone 3, or Zone 4. The GUI is there to select them, but most of them don't seem to be fully working at the moment.

EDIT (September 10th, 2013):

I have recently worked on a newer version of this plugin, with the main focus on user customizeable settings, and cleaning up the clutter when it comes to events (one user defined increase volume function instead of 5 hard coded ones).

It features a GUI to setup static ip address, port, automatic ip detection, and more!
Last edited by birdapi on Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:48 pm, edited 12 times in total.
birdapi

Re: Yamaha RX-V867 Ethernet Plugin!

Postby v!rus » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:22 pm

Hi Birdapi,

i´ve tested your plugin with my RX-V2067 and it works. Big thx for that! :mrgreen:
But one thing is missing for me. All the "Scene" funktions (5-12) would be highly appreciated.
Because there are no buttons on the remote for these scenes, but with eventghost and your plugin i could do it with my logitech harmony! :)

regards,
v!
v!rus

Re: Yamaha RX-V867 (or similar) Ethernet Plugin!

Postby birdapi » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:31 am

v!rus,

I'm glad you were able to get it to work on your receiver! I added the functionality to set a specific scene (1-12). Hopefully this does what you were asking for. Initially i wasn't even sure if it was possible, but i dug around and was able to figure something out. Visit the same link to download it again. Make sure you restart EventGhost. i changed the name of some functions and removed some functions which were broken, so hopefully this doesn't break your config file.
birdapi

Postby v!rus » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:22 am

You´re really fast! :D
I will test the new plugin tonight, when i´m at home. Thx in advance!
v!rus

Postby v!rus » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:35 pm

And it works!
Thank you very much! :D
v!rus

Postby admiral_k » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:32 pm

Hi birdapi,

great work! Worked quite well - with one issue:

It seems in the rxv867.py File there was still an IP address hardcoded. When i exchanged this with the IP of my Receiver, the plugin worked perfectly!

Thanks again for this work!

Best regards,
Klaas.
admiral_k

Postby Dragon470 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:50 pm

First, thanks for the plugin. Second, I am not a practicing programmer, so my knowledge is really lacking in python. Here are my questions:

From a script how can I access the various status info from the receiver? Mute, playing info, source, etc.

Do you have a list of all the commands to and from a yamaha receiver? I would greatly like to have it. Searching only results in the av control app.

I am wanting to make a new front end that can work on much older tablets. I also want just one page to see not one for the receiver, one for the MC extender, and one for the TV. The av control app needs android 2.1.
Dragon470
Experienced User

Postby Dragon470 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:44 am

THIS is now outdated version. Here only for people to use in transition to new version.

Many updates, with little or no refinement to up front commands. Many more things are now available in the plugin including getting the status of numerous settings. Please take a long look at the code before asking questions.

Below is an old defunct version.
rxvxxx.py
version 26-5-2013
(17.53 KiB) Downloaded 310 times

__init__.py
version 26-5-2013
(24.28 KiB) Downloaded 299 times

You should refer to the very first post to the newest github version. Both BirdAPI and I are working on that version.
Last edited by Dragon470 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:00 am, edited 5 times in total.
Dragon470
Experienced User

Postby Chris » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:25 pm

Dragon470 wrote:Many updates, with little or no refinement to up front commands. Many more things are now available in the plugin including getting the status of numerous settings. Please take a long look at the code before asking questions.

Great stuff, thanks for the update.

Just curious though, which .py file do I need to use, or do I need both? I have the exact same receiver as you, the 671. Thanks
Chris

Postby therealbiglou » Thu May 16, 2013 2:50 pm

This is awesome stuff! I don't yet have my Yamaha RX-V573 Receiver connected to the network... so unfortunately I can't test to see if it will work. I assume it will.

Speaking of which, I'd rather not run another ethernet cable to my receiver. Would connecting it to my HTPC via Ethernet someone work?
therealbiglou
Experienced User

Postby Dragon470 » Fri May 17, 2013 12:27 am

Sorry for the long delayed response, but I don't have much time for this hobby.

Chris wrote:
Just curious though, which .py file do I need to use, or do I need both? I have the exact same receiver as you, the 671. Thanks

You do need both files the init.py calls the other file.

therealbiglou wrote:This is awesome stuff! I don't yet have my Yamaha RX-V573 Receiver connected to the network... so unfortunately I can't test to see if it will work. I assume it will.

Speaking of which, I'd rather not run another ethernet cable to my receiver. Would connecting it to my HTPC via Ethernet someone work?

Thanks, I do have a possible solution. If your htpc sits next to the receiver. You could install a second network card in the htpc and run a small cord in to your receiver. There are other caveats to this such as bridging the network cards, and or setting static ip address and routing tables. I hope that answers your question.

As far as updating the plugin, I will be adding actual actions to go with the functions that are already in place. This might not happen until later this summer.
Dragon470
Experienced User

Postby therealbiglou » Tue May 21, 2013 12:51 pm

I ended up using an ethernet switch to split the connection between my HTPC and receiver and now I have a network connection to both. I was really happy to see this plugin worked perfectly with my RX-V573!

The only thing that seemed to not line up is that my receiver simply has "Audio" as one of the inputs I use and the list of functions include "Audio1" and "Audio2", and unfortunately neither work. Could I request this be added at a later date? Additionally, I would love actions for Zone A and Zone B so I can control power to my main TV's surround and the outdoor speakers separately.

Thank you for creating this plugin, it has worked wonders! For whatever reason, my USB-UIRT would take ~1 second per 0.5dB volume change. This meant mashing the volume buttons when wanting to change the volume quickly would result in a period of many seconds where the volume slowly trickled up or down. With this plugin, volume changes instantaneously. Perfect!!
therealbiglou
Experienced User

Postby DoXer » Thu May 23, 2013 8:21 pm

Hi,
first, thank you for your plugin.
I have a RX-V475 and selecting a scene is not working. I changed it in your script to work for the RX-V475.
Original:
Code: Select all
def set_scene(scene_num):
   send_xml('<YAMAHA_AV cmd="PUT"><Main_Zone><Scene><Scene_Load>Scene %i</Scene_Load></Scene></Main_Zone></YAMAHA_AV>' % scene_num)

Modification:
    send_xml('<YAMAHA_AV cmd="PUT"><Main_Zone><Scene><Scene_Sel>Scene %i</Scene_Sel></Scene></Main_Zone></YAMAHA_AV>' % scene_num)
DoXer

Postby therealbiglou » Thu May 23, 2013 9:10 pm

Doxer, how did you find out what code to change to fix that? There are a few things I may want to alter for my receiver as well.

Additionally, could someone guide me in how I would take the information of one of the status events and send the status (let's say of power) to the Network Event Sender plugin?

Thanks!
therealbiglou
Experienced User

Postby Dragon470 » Sun May 26, 2013 12:13 pm

DoXer wrote:Hi,
first, thank you for your plugin.
I have a RX-V475 and selecting a scene is not working. I changed it in your script to work for the RX-V475.
Original:
   send_xml('<YAMAHA_AV cmd="PUT"><Main_Zone><Scene><Scene_Load>Scene %i</Scene_Load></Scene></Main_Zone></YAMAHA_AV>' % scene_num)

Modification:
    send_xml('<YAMAHA_AV cmd="PUT"><Main_Zone><Scene><Scene_Sel>Scene %i</Scene_Sel></Scene></Main_Zone></YAMAHA_AV>' % scene_num)

Thanks for the information, I will test and update my post.
I have not used the scene selection, but I can tell you the various scene commands are Scene_Load, Scene_Save, and Scene_Sel
Dragon470
Experienced User

Next

Return to Plugin Support