terRemote - Android remote app for EventGhost

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.
terRemote
Experienced User

Re: terRemote - Android remote app for EventGhost

Post by terRemote » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:08 pm

Hi Livin

I know about Rainer's remote app and I already wrote something in this post about the similarities and differences between the two realizations.

I contacted him and we both agreed that this kind of "competition" can only be good for both projects since both of us will put even more effort in it.
For a collaboration, I don't think that it makes sence since I don't see much "synergy" (I don't like that word but you know what I mean...) potential. I think that our codes are quite different. And although there are some features that are currently only available in one of the two versions, I still have the impression that the current state leads to more innovations than a joint work would.

Anyway, if you favour one of the two apps (hopefully mine ^^) and really need to have some additional feature, just tell either author and we'll try to put it in.

Chris

terRemote
Experienced User

Post by terRemote » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:13 pm

Ah, I forgot. One additional "feature" I added today was the privacy policy to make sure that you are always aware of what the different versions of the app send to me.

You can visit the latest version on
http://www.terremote.com/privacy_android.

I think it's very important to be aware of the issue that many smartphone apps just send loads of data to their programmers without notifying their users. Currently, only the free version sends the device id to my server ONCE on the first startup. This is only done to ensure that one can not reset the free-version trial time by reinstalling the app.

Anyway, if you don't care about these privacy issues, just ignore this post.

Chris

Sat32

Post by Sat32 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:27 pm

Hello<
I have the pro version of your app, and have a few questions

Can or how do I send events from EG to TerRemote? and get TerRemote to act on them.

There seems to be alot of lag between button press on device and event EG will that be fixed\tweaked?

Is there any type of rules/recommendations for using custom buttons and backgrounds type, size, ext, in the layouts?

Where would be a good site to look for the art for layouts?

After I create a custom layout and export it, is the custom art work I add included in the export process??

A suggestion: start a forum or repository so user can share layouts and art work?

Thanks

terRemote
Experienced User

Post by terRemote » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:07 pm

Hi,

first of all, thank you for purchasing the pro version.
Can or how do I send events from EG to TerRemote? and get TerRemote to act on them.
I should have made a tutorial by now but did not get around to it, yet...
First, you have to enable "Listen to network events" in the terRemote options. Then click on "Server configuration", leave the port to 1024 and enter any password.
In EventGhost, include the "Network sender" plugin, in its configuration you set the local IP of your phone/tablet and the password of your choice. (The ip is easily visible on any event that is sent from your phone to EventGhost. Just look in the EventGhost-log on the left. If you experience problems, try to change the port.)
When you perform a "send" action in EventGhost, the event should appear in the terRemote log file. (Accessible over the options menu)
To react on such events, create a new Macro and add a "Network event" with the event string that you have chosen in EventGhost. You can also just add it from the log if you have already sent it once. You can then define an action that is performed whenever you receive that event.
At basically every occasion where you have to enter text, you can enter "${payload.0}" to get the first part of the payload (without quotes). In the same way you can use "${payload.1}" for the second part and so on. Plus you can enter "${event}" for the event string.

To get an example, go to import and import the pre-defined layout "System", then go to http://www.terremote.com/tutorials/system for the eventghost side of the story. (At this point I just remember that I already put a tutorial there about the setup, but ok...)

I hope this helps. It's all a bit of typing but as you see in the example, it can be very easy to import "predefined" things. It's only that I have not enough predefined layouts, yet...
There seems to be alot of lag between button press on device and event EG will that be fixed\tweaked?
I never noticed but you might be right that it is a little bit slower than in the other apps. It's still not "a lot of" lag in my setup but now that I am aware of this, it bothers me too. ^^
Fact is that since I figured out how to communicate with EventGhost, I focused on giving the app more features and usability and never improved the sending procedure. Of course I will try to improve it now although I can not say whether it will be a week or a month until I figure it out. I hope soon, though. Thank you for noticing and telling.

Is there any type of rules/recommendati ... e layouts?

There is no rule. You have to figure out what is best for you. That is actually the main reason why I tried to leave the user as much possibilities as possible. The second reason is that this is not my strong suit, either :-) . The third reason: depending on your device, display, density and resolution the same configurations very often look different. That's something you just have to deal with in Android.
I will try to make it easier for future use (see section about layout repository) and this is also why I added predefined icons and designs. For now, you have to try on your own (maybe modify the existing designs) and see what is best for you. If you import the "Example", you also see the use of translucent buttons which is a quite nice feature together with background pictures.

Where would be a good site to look for ... r layouts?

I'm not an expert on this but messing around with google picture search is usually quite fruitful in my opinion. One example:
https://www.google.com/search?num=10&hl ... 0AXstOXOBw
For using pictures in private, i.e. only for your own layouts, you usually don't have to worry about licensing/copyright issues. But when I try to include predefined background pictures into the app, I extremely have to worry about them. That's why there aren't any, so far...

After I create a custom layout and expo ... process??
Finally an easy question. :-) YES, if you select the "export pictures" option. Only the custom, not the predefined graphics are included. This is true for both, icons and background images. Note, however, that the way of storing them currently doubles there size which means that including a 2MB jpeg leads to a 4MB bigger export file. In general, it is best to resize the pictures to the actual device resolution before you upload them. This also decreases the time that a layout needs to be loaded.

A suggestion: start a forum or reposito ... art work?

That is the plan but it has some problems, expecially with artwork. I somehow would have to make sure that there are no copyright issues on the pictures that are shared via the page. I could make the uploading user responsible, but only after letting him or her sign a butload of (in lack of the official term) terms-of-use-lawyer-stuff. Plus I would have to collect personal data to ensure that anyone could be made responsible.
I'm not a lawyer and I am not hundred percent sure that this is absolutely correct but there would be legal issues to care about and I just don't see me doing this, right now.
What you can expect in the nearer future is that there will be more background artwork available and that there will also be "dummy layouts" that cover most of the cool stuff you can do with a certain program. This is also true on the server side as you have seen in the "System layout" example above. (By the way, if anyone could try this and tell me if it works and if there is something missing in the setup description, I would really appreciate it.)

I hope I could help. I'm afraid to get banned from the forum for spamming so I will stop now. If there are any questions still open or not correctly answered, please just complain.

Best, Chris

FourFootPaul

Post by FourFootPaul » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:11 pm

Hi again,
I've stumbled across a bug, I think.

I currently have 2 scenes configured, I did an export of all settings/scenes, formatted my phone and re-installed your app - however when I import the file, it imports the server settings, the name of the first scene, and the name and buttons of the second scene.

If I open the first scene I just get a blank page... help?

It's contained within the export file if I search for some of the button names in the file, so it just seems the importer isn't reading it correctly. I can provide you with the export file if your need?

terRemote
Experienced User

Post by terRemote » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:16 pm

That would be good. Can you send it to "mail@terremote.com"?

I will have a look what is wrong.

Best, Chris

FourFootPaul

Post by FourFootPaul » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:19 pm

Hi Chris,
Just sent it to you via email.

Thanks

terRemote
Experienced User

Post by terRemote » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:37 pm

Hi Paul,

I have tried your file and it imports correctly on my phone. Also, a quick analysis on the file did not give an error. This means at least that your buttons are saved and can be restored.
The question is why it didn't work. Did you try it more than once? If yes, the uploaded file on Google play might be corrupted. I will upload another within the next two days. I could also send you a preliminary version of the new update.
If no, please try it once more and tell me whether it works that time. Parsing errors are rare but they happen.

I hope we fix this soon. :-)
Chris

terRemote
Experienced User

Post by terRemote » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:58 pm

OK, don't test. I downloaded the version that is on Google Play and it had the exact same problem

I will try to upload a new version tomorrow so that you can use your layouts again. Worst case is Thursday. I just change some stuff and this has to be sorted out, first.

By the way, the next update will be quite a major one. It includes Text-to-Speech, listening for phone events and wifi events and maybe even already Tasker support. Plus I optimized the sending of the events so that the bigger lag compared to other apps should disappear.
Theres some more (disable/enable Wifi,...) but you will see it in the change log.

Chris

FourFootPaul

Post by FourFootPaul » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:40 pm

Hi Chris,
Thanks for checking. Looking forward to the next version so I can get everything working and upgrade to pro :-)

Pako
Plugin Developer

Post by Pako » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:42 am

I tried your application today.
I had previously played with the application "Eventghost" by Tim Hoeck, but it seems that it is dead.
Conversely, your terRemote apparently has great potential.
After the first tests I have some remarks:
1. It appears that the Update button does not work in "event log".
2. I have a feature request. It would be nice if a user display could be part of the layout (which would - for example, consistently show track information).
3. Perhaps it would be good to create a new plugin "terRemote" which would integrate the transmitting and receiving part. It could be to have also a action "Show on display" and other tweaks. I can create (in collaboration with you) this plugin.

Pako

terRemote
Experienced User

Post by terRemote » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:30 am

Hi Pako,

thank you for trying my app and thanks also for the remarks.
The update button will work in the next update. I simply forgot to implement its functionality...

What exactly do you mean by the user display? One that is always shown even if you change the layout? I thought about making it possible to have widgets appear on multiple layouts such that you can for example always change the system volume without changing layouts and without having to write actions/macros for all of the layouts where you want to use it. Apart from that, it is already possible to display information such as track, rating etc. I'll write a tutorial about in soon, I guess.

I thought about a plugin but it would basically only contain the sender and receiver functionality which is also easy to configure as it is. So it's not on top of my priority list. Thank you for offering your help :-) Do you know if it is possible to create new folders/macros/events/actions via python script? I did not find any such command. If it was possible, I could use the plugin for automatic setup of basic functionality and then it would make way more sence to have one.
Another thing about a plugin is that users have a harder time to see what is actually going on with there events. I want them to be able to understand, modify and adapt the behavior of the used eventghost macros. After all, this is part of what distinguishes this app and EventGhost from other Android apps where you communicate with a server made by the app's programmer and that is basically a black box to you.

I'm not sure if I expressed myself well, here. But that's what kept me from creating a plugin, so far. Anyway, it's definetely an option.

Chris

Pako
Plugin Developer

Post by Pako » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:17 am

terRemote wrote:What exactly do you mean by the user display? One that is always shown even if you change the layout? I thought about making it possible to have widgets appear on multiple layouts such that you can for example always change the system volume without changing layouts and without having to write actions/macros for all of the layouts where you want to use it. Apart from that, it is already possible to display information such as track, rating etc. I'll write a tutorial about in soon, I guess.
Now (when Edit mode is activated), I can
1. Add a button
2. Add seekbar
3. Add ratingbar
I would like that there was also 4. Add display.
terRemote wrote:I thought about a plugin but it would basically only contain the sender and receiver functionality which is also easy to configure as it is. So it's not on top of my priority list. Thank you for offering your help :-) Do you know if it is possible to create new folders/macros/events/actions via python script? I did not find any such command. If it was possible, I could use the plugin for automatic setup of basic functionality and then it would make way more sence to have one.
I think with Python can be done about anything. However, I do not understand how it is meant (maybe because my English is poor). Can you give some concrete example of how it should work?
terRemote wrote:Another thing about a plugin is that users have a harder time to see what is actually going on with there events. I want them to be able to understand, modify and adapt the behavior of the used eventghost macros. After all, this is part of what distinguishes this app and EventGhost from other Android apps where you communicate with a server made by the app's programmer and that is basically a black box to you.
This is a general property EventGhost applications. Huge variability EventGhost (especially when using the Python Script) is of great advantage (in comparison with similar applications). But it also requires some skills from the user.

Pako

terRemote
Experienced User

Post by terRemote » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:43 am

The "display" can be simulated by adding a disabled button. Give it a style like "plain black" (so it does not look like a button) and an identifyer like "track".
Then, create a macro that receives the EventGhost event and add the action "Chang Widget"->"text". Enter your identifyer ("track") and set the value "${payload.0}" if your first payload contains the track. This will display the current track. Moreover, you can create an "update" button to send a request to eventghost for sending this event. Finally, starting a layout always creates a network event "LayoutStarted.LAYOUT_NAME" (have a look in the log) You can use this event to also trigger the update request. This way, everytime you go to your layout, the current track will automatically be updated.
You should also tell eventghost to send a new event every time the track changes. THen you don't have to press update at all.

For the plugin-issues, I will send you a PM later. This could be a longer discussion. :-)

Chris

P.S.: Instead of an update button, you can just enable your display (it's a button, after all) and set the update request as onClick action.

Pako
Plugin Developer

Post by Pako » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:19 am

Thank you for guidance and clarification, it is now clear to me.
I did not get to such a depth (during the first familiarization) of course.

Pako