terRemote - Android remote app for EventGhost

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.

Re: terRemote - Android remote app for EventGhost

Postby ndrillingcourt » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:13 pm

Brilliant application so far. Been waiting a while for something like this. I've managed to create a layout which can be used for surfing the net (back, forward, fullscreen, etc) but I'm having a little trouble sending key presses. When I create a button/widget in "edit mode" I can attach the code to the "Action on click" section, and when I press the Test button everything works correctly. However, if I press Save and then leave Edit mode the widget no longer sends the key press command. Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong?
ndrillingcourt

Postby terRemote » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:40 pm

Hi,

cool that you are enjoying the app. Thanks for the responses. :)

To FourFootPaul:
I found a similar notification when you try to change the layout by the options button. It will be removed in the next version. When leaving edit mode, I could not find the message you are describing. Maybe it is already removed in the latest version or I just don't see it. Nevermind, if you still stumble about it in like two weeks, I will have another look.

To ndrillingcourt:
It's hard to tell what happens there. Does the button change the color when you press it? Did you check the "durable" box when you edited the action? The most likely explanation, though, is that it is sending the message to a different server. This can happen when you choose "layout default" as your server. The "test" button always sends it to the global default server, not to the layout default, even if you choose this. This is not how it should be, but the test button just does not have the layout available to see which server it has as a default. I have to change that since it is quite confusing...
Anyway, try to choose the server directly instead of "global default" or "layout default". If it works now, check the layout's default server property and check which server is set as global default. There might be some issues with one of these things although I can't really tell which one it is.
I hope this helps for the moment.

Chris
terRemote
Experienced User

Postby ndrillingcourt » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:13 pm

Solved the problem with the key press. Think it was due to incorrect action in eventghost, i.e. my bad.

I did check out the different servers as you suggested though. None of the changes were persistent. Every time I would change the server it would reset back to the default server.
ndrillingcourt

Postby piert » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:58 pm

Hi,

This is great news!! Unfortunately, I have no time to test in the next 2 weeks, but will do so afterwards.
Just wanted to let you know my appreciation for making this available to us and I am glad it seems to be working out well for the two testers that have replied so far.

Best regards,
Perry
piert
Experienced User

Postby Owel » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:42 pm

Hi, i testet the beta yesterday - awesome!

And of course, i have a more awesome feature request.
With the ability to import/export configs, can you please provide a windows/linux-tool to create the layouts?

Und hier mal die Längere Fassung auf Deutsch, solltest du ja verstehen ;)
Hab gestern dein Tool getestet und ich bin begeistert. Klasse, so hab ich mir das gedacht. Super Ding. Das Killer-feature "import" sollte noch weiter aufgebohrt werden. Wäre genial wenn man ein PC-Tool hätte mit dem man die Layouts/Events/Trigger configurieren könnte, und dann einfach aufs Handy/Tablet ziehen, importieren und los gehts. Es ist nämlich auf den Tablets immer etwas frickelei die Buttons und Regler so zu poisitionieren wie man's gerne hätte. Und bei vielen Ähnlichen Elementen dauerts zumal recht lange. Wenn man das am PC machen könnte, wäre das klasse.
Was hälst du davon?

Grüße
Owel
Owel

Postby terRemote » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:38 pm

Wow, I don't even know where to start. First of all, thanks for all the responses, bug report and feature requests.

I have just released version 0.50 which comes with a few changes and fixes.

drillingcourt: I solved the problem with the default server for layouts not correctly being displayed. They were saved correctly, only when editing them it always showed the server-default. I also fixed the problem with the imported icons not being displayed when editing a widget.

Owel: You are right, the options/configurations are not yet part of the import/export function although they should be. It's on my TODO-list and I hope this will be coming soon. About the online-editing-mode: It would be possible but it is a lot of work. Basically, you would have to reproduce a great amount of code in PHP/JavaScript and you would have to update it every time you make a change in the app (Of course, other languages are possible but it's basically the same thing and I would probably do it in a browser-based version...). So if there will be such an online form, it would be in a state where the app is basically "done" and not in this early period. Anyway, since I don't expect to make a great amount of money with this app, I'm afraid I won't be able to take the time to do it... The little time I have is (at least currently) better invested in new app-features, I guess.
For simpler adding widgets, you can already duplicate old one. For exact positioning, you can set the x and y coordinate in the edit mask and don't have to use the drag-and-drop function. I am also planning to introduce clipping to drag-and-drop so that you can align the widgets more precisely.

I also received a request per mail saying that cross-device import/export is not really possible with different screen sizes/resolutions. The new Export function saves the screen resolution of your device and the import function scales the widgets and shapes to the new proper size (if you select the option). It does not look perfect due to Android's choice of text sizes but it is quite an improvement.

Apart from that, there are the following changes:
- You will see some layout changes in some masks. Also, the edit mode is now "visible"
- Adding a new Widgets now first lets you choose a position and then automatically goes to the widget property mask. I did this for simplifying the first use of the app. Experienced users might find that annoying, but they are probably using the "duplicate" function more often, anyway.
- The widget property mask now has a "simple" mode that is enabled by default. Again, for new users, I hope this leads to an easier use since you don't have only to care about the most important options.
- Buttons now give a short vibration on click. This is added to get a better feedback but of course there is an option to get rid of this.
- The title line (not the status bar) is removed. This gives you more space for your layouts.
- In some spots, I increased the precision of error notifications so you know when you have to enter a different value or when a color value does not have the correct form.
- When you are in edit mode and press the back button, you leave the edit mode instead of closing the app.
- ... (I think I fixed one or two crash reports, but I did not write it down precisely. There might also be other minor changes I have forgotten about)

Of course for all these changes: If you experience problems or find something to be extremely annoying, please contact me so I can fix/improve it.

I hope you enjoy the changes.
Chris
terRemote
Experienced User

Postby Owel » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:41 am

keep going. Tonight i will configure your app to my home.

It will be awesome!
Owel

Postby Owel » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:06 pm

Hey, today there was an update to 0.52.
Now the App crashes on start. pls fix it :)
NOW!! :P

PS: Sony Xperia Neo V - ICS
Owel

Postby terRemote » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:33 pm

Hi, ndrillingcourt told me about that proble
m. It seem that there was a corrupted file produced by the compiler. I updated to 0.52a now and my tests show that it works.

Please report if this is not the case.
Chris
terRemote
Experienced User

Postby Owel » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:54 pm

Thanks, i updated and it works, again!
Owel

Postby terRemote » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:40 am

Good to hear, Owel. :-)

For those who are currently using the beta: I will release the first non-beta version in two days on June 26 (in the evening, CET). I write this because the free version will have built in some "annoying" features after a trial period of 30 days. This will presumably contain a start delay (2-3 seconds) and a popup once in a while asking you to by the Pro version and thus contribute to the development of the app.
I found this option better than adding advertisements to the free app. On a remote, you want to use the whole screen and not accidentally click on a "subscribe now" banner of some dubious online service, I guess.

So for those who really avoid these annoyances but don't, for whatever reason, want to buy the pro version, just don't update the app. It will stay fully functional but you won't get any of the new features. Plus the import/export function might not work anymore together with new versions at some point.

I realize that there are people without a credit card who can't purchase apps on Google Plus. For those, I don't have a solution right now but I will see if I can put terRemote Pro in some other app-store where you can also use PayPal.

Finally, as I have announced at the beginning, I will offer a refund to those people who gave me the most and most constructive feedback. I don't think one can do this over Google Plus so we might have to use PayPal. Anyway, I will send private messages to these users once I put the Pro version online.

That's about it. Thanks again to everyone testing the beta. Enjoy the upcoming features. (presumably: event log, support of the "Tasker"-app, customizable desktop widgets...)
Chris
terRemote
Experienced User

Postby Owel » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:34 am

great to hear that development is still alive and new features are planned.

my feature #1 is: customizable desktop widgets

go for it
Owel

Postby terRemote » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:32 pm

Alright, the first non-beta version is published, along with the Pro version. If you want to change from the free to the Pro version, you have to export first and then import the export file in the new app.

The new version contains the event log and a tutorial mask for an easier start. It also automatically searches for the EventGhost server in the Tutorial, so you don't have to look up your IP in Windows.

Of course, leaving the beta status does not mean that development is over. ^^

To Owel: I will look into that. It will be fun to learn how it's done.

Chris
terRemote
Experienced User

Postby terRemote » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:18 am

I created a facebook page for those who want to stay up to date about new features and who want to tell their friends about the app. The more users there are, the higher will be my motivation for development. So tell your friends and please don't stop giving me feedback. ;-)

http://www.facebook.com/terRemote
terRemote
Experienced User

Postby Livin » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:28 pm

a good remote is definitely needed and this looks like it will be nice.

Not sure if you knew, but rainermueller was also working on a remote... maybe you can reach out to him and you both can collaborate on a single, uber remote ? ;)
setup... XBMC, W7MC for DVR & Live OTA TV, JRMC for multi-zone audio, EG, MiCasaVerde Vera3, USB-UIRT IR receiver, Harmony remote, 5.2 home theater system
Livin
Experienced User

PreviousNext

Return to Plugin Support