PushBullet plugin (Pako)

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.
LordXilos

Re: PushBullet plugin (Pako)

Post by LordXilos » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:02 am

Hi kgschlosser

Thank you very much for quick response and all the work that you are doing here. I am completely new to home automation and finding that it is a very steep learning curve. I quite enjoy tinkering and getting things to work but at the moment I feel stuck as I spent 5 hours on youtube, this forum and and internet searches but made no progress.

I followed the guide in this thread to the letter and managed to get IFTTT set up and PushBullet linked. So that when I say the trigger phase, I get a push bullet notification on the computer.

I also managed to get the push bullet plug in to appear in the Event Ghost. However, when it comes to configuring EG PushBullet plugin I am completelly lost. Since I cannot donwload __init__.py I am not whether that will solve this problem.

In my head this boils down to two questions:
1) What function does the __init__.py perform in the EventGhost?
2) What do I need to put into the PushBullet Plug In item settings for it to start being triggered by notifications?

Apologies, if this has been covered somewhere in the guides already. If that is the case would please kindly provide a link to the guidance.

Thank you in advance for your help
Attachments
PushBullet.JPG

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:16 pm

@LordXilos

Thank you for giving EventGhost a go.

Home Automation can have a very steep learning curve. There are some simple guidelines you need to follow since you are new.

#1 Do not get discouraged.
#2 Do not give up.
#3 With EventGhost just about anything is possible.
#4 Ask questions.

I personally do my best to help out as many people as I can. I know how frustrating it can be, I was there. T followed the guidelines above except for #4 as I did not have anyone to ask. I am 100% self taught. Like you have have spent many hours on google..

One thing i am going to ask.. kick YouTube to the curb. ever since they went to paying people for their videos the information contained in the videos a lot of times is inaccurate. The videos are only posted to make a buck and the person making them does not care if the information is correct or not.

A brief history so if you encounter this again you will know what to do.

This plugin was made a long while ago. When it was made our server resources were limited. The original author cut the plugin into 2 pieces the icons and the actual plugin (__init__.py). this was done to conserve space. The plugin was also designed before EventGhost had a mechanism to distribute plugins. Now that we do have that (files ending in .egplugin) everything needed is contained in that one file so nothing additional is needed. simply double click the .egplugin file and it will install the plugin.

As far as the PushBullet plugin is concerned.. There have been some changes made to the PushBullet API (Application Program Interface) these changes caused an issue with authentication. At the same time we were releasing an updated version of EG (EventGhost). The plugin was fixed at that point in time.. Then PushBullet made another change and broke it again. I had fixed it... we recently had a server issue and lost some of our attachment data. this plugin was one of the things effected. Unfortunately the last working version of the plugin was lost.

I am hoping that someone may have the fixed plugin and is willing to export it and upload it to us. If this does not happen in the next week I am going to have to fix it again.

I do not use PushBullet at all nor have I used this plugin. I do not know what the settings are supposed to be set to. If someone can help out in this area and is willing to chime in and help out that would be greatly appreciated. But chances are even with the correct settings the plugin is not going to work because of the problem mentioned above.

At this point I would stop your searching and wait a week. When I get the plugin back in working order I will walk you through the setup process if no one has posted how to set the plugin up.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

LordXilos

Post by LordXilos » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:50 am

Hi kgschlosser

Thank you very much for your in depth response :) I will give it a week and see if anyone comes forward with an updated plugin.

On a slightly different EG topic. Would it bee possible to set up EG to monitoring whether a text file was updated and then read the last text string separated by minus sign. For example: EG checks that the file was updated (by monitoring modified date or some other more efficient way) and then from the text file that says "-ABC-BCD-EFG" picks up EFG that then will trigger an action?

Or alternatively it monitors a folder. Once a text file is created it reads the text from the file and then deletes the file. Then uses the text string to trigger an action?

I guess also worth checking whether monioring a file or folder will be resourse intensive as ideally the recognition that the file/folder has changed would need to be istantanious.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:26 am

This plugin comes packaged with the EventGhost installer. so You already have it installed. You just have to add it to your tree

viewtopic.php?t=1011

LordXilos

Post by LordXilos » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:09 pm

Hi kgschlosser

I have not seen any updates. Based on your last post am I correct to assume that I have everything that I need? Also Where could I get some support of how to configure it? I have attached the photo to my previous post of the window that I get when I click on the plugin.

Is there guidance where to get all of the information required in order for EG to start monitoring my PushBullet activity?

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:53 am

in the next day or 2 I will be starting to fix the plugin again. once I have finished I will attach it to a forum post.
At that point in time I will also key up some setup directions.

The version of the plugin you have currently will not work even if you have the settings correct. So don't even bother with it just yet.. sit tight and I will get a working version with instructions together.

LordXilos

Post by LordXilos » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:14 am

Thank you so much. Your help is very much appreciated :)

I am surprised that I am the only one interested. Have there been other solutions used to get Alexa to control PC?