libCEC plugin for Pulse Eight HDMI-CEC usb adapter

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.

Re: libCEC plugin for Pulse Eight HDMI-CEC usb adapter

Postby kgschlosser » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:03 am

the display on your AVR is out?? doesn't it have an OSD???

my HK did the same crap.. couple of cold solder joints.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby Luca Brasi » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:53 am

kgschlosser wrote:the display on your AVR is out??

yes :twisted: Seems to happen a lot with this model after 2-3 years. I guess it's because of the high heat this f..er produces. It consumes 48Watt in standby :oops:

kgschlosser wrote:doesn't it have an OSD???

It does! But... never worked reliably from the start. I'll have to find a way to connect it via good old component cables. Internet says it's the hdmi port which is faulty.

kgschlosser wrote:my HK did the same crap.. couple of cold solder joints.

I'd try to fix something like that but apparently on my model it needs a new display and the money isn't worth it. I'll get another one as soon as I can spare the money.
Win8.1 x64 Prof. / Eventghost latest / auvisio vrc-1100-plugin and MCE Plugin / auvisio vrc-1100 and MCE Receiver / Logitech Harmony Hub / MediaPortal
Luca Brasi
Experienced User

Postby kgschlosser » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:06 pm

Onkyo's have always produced an enormous amount of heat. This is due to the really shitty power supply they put in them. and I use a singular for the supply. because there is only one. my HK has a PS for every 2 channels of output and another for the logic. You can visibly see what I am talking about if you crank up the tunes something with a lot of bass and you can watch the display dim to the beat of the music.

it took almost 10 years before i had to get mine repaired. funny tho. the PS to the front went out. I used to do a lot of business with Harman Kardon and I would have sent it to them but the AVR weighs almost 70 lbs shipping would have cost a mint. so I called one of the people i know over there and get the service manual (CD) for it. and the guy I know was one of the engineers for the company and he came up with a list of parts and a schematic to upgrade all of the power supplies in the thing. I brought it to a local place. and they said they couldn't repair it because they were not able to get the manuals. then i handed them the disk and there was a surprised look and then the question.. "how did you get that?" my answer was "I know some people."then i handed them the list of parts with the schematic for upgrading the power supplies. and they were even more shocked. I was on the fence with repairing it because the repair was what I paid for the AVR. I paid Harman's cost of building the thing. The TV place offered to buy it from me. if i didn't want to get it repaired. for the same price i paid for it. LOL. But the PS upgrades did a world of great things as far as distortion at high volume. pretty much eliminated it. also made it more compatible with my 6 ohm Kef speakers. the only one crappy thing about this AVR is that it doesn't have an HDMI pass through. and it is only 1080i So i can't use it for my video switching and I am forced to use spdif for the audio.

needless to say 900.00 USD later and I haven't had a problem since. and I only had a problem with the display about a year after it was repaired. I think it was something that would have been fine if it had not been taken apart. the problem was not the repair places fault. but shit happens when ya take things apart. So i fixed the display myself.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby kgschlosser » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:07 pm

what is the model number of your AVR?
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby Luca Brasi » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:20 pm

onkyo tx sr607

have a look at the google search suggestions for this one :D

screen_mmstation_20170815_15h18m52s.jpg
screen_mmstation_20170815_15h18m52s.jpg (72.92 KiB) Viewed 346 times

Edit: I guess there might be a way to fix it myself after all...
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receiv ... st15249416
I'll try it
Win8.1 x64 Prof. / Eventghost latest / auvisio vrc-1100-plugin and MCE Plugin / auvisio vrc-1100 and MCE Receiver / Logitech Harmony Hub / MediaPortal
Luca Brasi
Experienced User

Postby kgschlosser » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:41 pm

OK everyone. I am releasing an extremely BETA version of the CEC plugin. I have changed the GUID's, class names and directories. However YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE A NEW TREE IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO DELETE ALL OF YOUR ACTIONS

YOU HAVE TO DELETE/MOVE THE ORIGINAL PLUGIN

If you are running EG 0.5 you will need to download and install a version of the libCEC software that has been altered to work with python 2.7, the original does not work. The altered version is attached to a previous post. Also in a previous post is a link to the firmware update. if you are not running on version 7 of the firmware and you have problems. the first thing I am going to ask you is if you updated your firmware. so get it done ahead of time.

once you have removed the original plugin updated the libCEC software (i would suggest doing this no matter what version of EG you are running) and you updated the firmware to v7. go ahead and download the attached one. simply double click and away you go.

again I am not responsible if you are trying this in your production save file and you and up losing your save file. This should not happen. Please i cannot stress enough this is a test version IT WILL HAVE ISSUES.

Sorry for the repost but i wanted to re release it as the other one had quite a few issues.
Attachments
PulseEight-1.1b.egplugin
(251.04 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby kgschlosser » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:49 pm

hey luca...

I have a present for ya..

https://www.justanswer.com/electronics/ ... y-not.html

it tells you where to look for a blown resistor and also where to look for a cold solder joint. :D as these are the most common problems with that display going out.

it could cost you a whole nickle to fix. well that and some of your time.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby Luca Brasi » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:04 pm

kgschlosser wrote:hey luca...

I have a present for ya..

https://www.justanswer.com/electronics/ ... y-not.html

it tells you where to look for a blown resistor and also where to look for a cold solder joint. :D as these are the most common problems with that display going out.

it could cost you a whole nickle to fix. well that and some of your time.

Thanks! I was already in research for this. I found a lot of people fixing it by replacing some resistors like here
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_libra ... mment-8363
Luca Brasi
Experienced User

Postby kgschlosser » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:02 pm

yup. I have found reference to that problem all over the place.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby Luca Brasi » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:15 am

Got it :-)
IMG_20170829_015312.jpg

I reenabled HDMI control. So I should be able to get libcec running again.
Luca Brasi
Experienced User

Postby Luca Brasi » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:03 am

Ok, I tried to get it to work.
Looking promising so far for the most part but the plugin isn't working for me.

What I did:
- Unplugged the adapter
- Uninstalled the driver and any pulse eight software
- Uninstalled the eg plugin
- Installed the modified libcec 4.0.4 from your post in this other thread, skipping installing the included eg plugin.
- Tried to connect to my tv from cec tray app from pulse eight. Worked after some hick ups. I can power on and off my tv from there.
- Tried to install your new plugin, it seems that it doesn't find the adapter, see screenshot.

screen_mmnote_2017-08-29 11 53 18.png
Luca Brasi
Experienced User

Postby kgschlosser » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:27 am

no it will see it. I made a boo boo

i will fix it and re upload
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby kgschlosser » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:45 am

Luca Brasi wrote:Got it :-)

what was the problem??? cold solder joint?
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby kgschlosser » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:56 am

can you do me a favor on that error. I need you to copy and paste it to me because I can't see the whole error from the screen shot. it shouldn't be passing anything lower then 0.5 to that control. and the minimum i set to 0.1 so I am not sure what is going on with it. I cannot seem to replicate the problem at all.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby Luca Brasi » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:37 am

Probably something wrong with my set up? Can not get it to work with the old plugin either.

Here's the error
Code: Select all
Traceback (most recent call last) (0.5.0-rc4):
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Classes\TaskletDialog.py", line 162, in ProcessingTask
    self.Configure(*args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Utils.py", line 441, in LogItWithReturnWrapper
    result = func(*args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Classes\ConfigDialog.py", line 106, in Configure
    treeItem.Configure(*args)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Classes\ActionItem.py", line 80, in Configure
    return self.executable.Configure(*args)
  File "C:\ProgramData\EventGhost\plugins\PulseEight\__init__.py", line 355, in Configure
    panel.SetResult(*list_ctrl.GetValue())
  File "C:\ProgramData\EventGhost\plugins\PulseEight\controls.py", line 114, in get_value
    hdmi_port = hdmi_item.GetWindow().GetValue()
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'GetValue'

I had eg running in debug mode. Maybe you'll see anything else in the attached log.
I'll also attach a log from cec tray which might give any hints.
Attachments
eg_log.txt
(8.02 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
CecTrayLog.txt
(15.62 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Luca Brasi
Experienced User

PreviousNext

Return to Plugin Support