libCEC plugin for Pulse Eight HDMI-CEC usb adapter

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.

Re: libCEC plugin for Pulse Eight HDMI-CEC usb adapter

Postby Henrik4223 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:35 am

I cannot seem to get this plugin working. It works fine with the Kodi plugin but I need to get the eventghost plugin working.

I have installed the libcec 3.1 but in eventghost it always says "Client not accepting input"?????

Anyone?
Henrik4223

Postby jachin99 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:48 pm

I'm not sure if this is your problem or not but you need to make sure that only one program at a time is controlling the CEC adapter. If kodi is open and has control of the adapter, then eventghost will not be able to do anything with it. Also, each manufacturer has their own way of implementing CEC so one cannot guarantee it will work as it is supposed to. You might also try LibCEC 3.0, or earlier versions.
jachin99
Experienced User

Postby jachin99 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:18 pm

I've installed libcec v 4.0.2, and I've upgraded to EG RC 5.4. but I've run into a few problems. Problem one is the cec tray application will not open, and I get error code 0x8007007E, and problem 2 is I get an error saying MSVCP120.dll is missing from my pc when I try to run the test client. Has anyone else out there had problems with libcec 4.0.2?
jachin99
Experienced User

Postby kgschlosser » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:25 pm

Did you download libcec from pulse eights website?

If you did it will not work properly with eg rc4. You need to download a modified version of it from viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9710

As far as the tray not working and the missing dll file I would send an email to their support. But install the modified version first and see if it does the same.

If it does do the same when you email them just tell them 4.0.2 no need to mention the modified version to complicate things. It was modified by pulse eight but I do not know who knows about it. And technically speaking the modified version is the most up to date version and there is not a public release of it yet.

But give it a go and see what happens.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby kgschlosser » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:27 pm

I forgot to mention on the chance that you did install the modified one. Try downloading the one from their site and install it. Then install the modified one. Thats what I did and it seemed to work. Tho I do not have a CEC adapter to fully test it. But there was no errors in EG or from windows.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby jachin99 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:39 pm

Ok so I tried your suggestion of installing pulse eight's libcec followed by yours and it worked sort of. I think I'm running into the limits of my TV though because I can't get the TV to receive traffic. I had this same thing happen on another TV, and one day the TV and PC magically learned how to speak to one another.
jachin99
Experienced User

Postby kgschlosser » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:06 am

That is beyond me. LOL I do not have one of these adapters. Have you tried plugging your adapter into a different HDMI port or tried swapping the cable for a different one? Maybe plugging the adapter into a different usb port?
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby jachin99 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:14 am

The PITA about CEC is that each manufacturer gets to pick and choose how well it works. IDK, I've had this suddenly start working correctly out of nowhere before, and so have others so we'll see.
jachin99
Experienced User

Postby kgschlosser » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:56 am

here is the latest firmware for the USB versions of the pulse eight adapters. this was released on the first of this year. I had an adapter donated to me and it had firmware version 2 on it from 2012 (wee bit outdated). so this is also very likely to help solve some issues all by it's self.

https://www.pulse-eight.com/Download/Get/50

the other thing was the existing plugin had some issues in it also. I just spend the better part of 2 hours going round robin with a new version of the plugin for the intermittent problem of it working and then not working. I changed up some code and also updated my firmware and the issues have disappeared. I am not sure which one fixed the issue But it does appear that the new firmware has increased the speed of the initial connection.

New version features

Events:
Power
Volume
Mute
Source
Remote Key Presses

Direct input Actions:
Volume
Power
Mute
Channel

Actions:
OSD Messages
OSD Names for Devices.
Setting the Media Stream
Multi Adapter Support
Remote Control Button Presses
Volume Up
Volume Down
Mute Toggle
Channel Up
Channel Down
Power On All
Power Off All
Power On Specific
Power Off specific
Get Power State
Get Mute State
Get Volume Level
Get Source

I am sure there are more I have to tinker with this thing a bit to learn what else it can do.

New version I use a thread to initialize the adapter(s) as well as I use a thread to populate the list of available adapters. I did this so that EG will not have a studder when it starts up. as this would be very annoying if you have more then one adapter. So the threads get rid of this.

I set up the actions so when you select the adapter to use. in the event you flip flop about the com ports because you had to do a reconfig of the plugin because you moved the adapter to a different usb port and it got assigned a new com port. your actions will not go all funky. or you decided to rename the adapter. the actions check for a name and comport matching. if none found then it will hit the comport and again if none found then it will check the name.

I am still working on the Media State stuff. like what is playing and what the current state of the media is (Playing, Stopped) One touch recording. things like that. It's hard when i do not have another device besides my projector to test with
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby kgschlosser » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:09 am

Also I forgot to mention.. what I am working on is a modified version of the Pulse Eight plugin that is included with libCEC 4. Not the one on the beginning of this topic. the one form the begining of this topic is relient on the output from a command line program called cec_client. which could possibly have changed since it was made. the version that is included with libCEC will automatically install into your plugins folder and in the add plugin dialog look for pulse eight cec adapter.

and CEC is a pretty standardized thing. it just depends on whether or not the manufacturer coded in the ability for you to do specific things. Like my projector has a speaker in it yet i can't change the volume. this is not the fault of pulse eight it is simply the fact that the manufacturer never bothered to code in that ability.

if you go to http://www.cec-o-matic.com/ it will show you all of the possible commands. in the source box you would select where a message would be coming from and the destination would be where the message is going to. select the command at the bottom and then click on the up arrow. at the top of the screen you will see a command like 1E:5D:77 and that is the raw CEC command
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby Luca Brasi » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:07 pm

kgschlosser wrote:I had an adapter donated to me and it had firmware version 2 on it from 2012 (wee bit outdated)

:D :D :D yes, I haven't touched this thing for years...
Win8.1 x64 Prof. / Eventghost latest / auvisio vrc-1100-plugin and MCE Plugin / auvisio vrc-1100 and MCE Receiver / Logitech Harmony Hub / MediaPortal
Luca Brasi
Experienced User

Postby kgschlosser » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:18 pm

Well I know you have another. So make sure you keep the firmware up to date. It was actually a pain to find that update. Their site sucks. It's very difficult to locate anything.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby Luca Brasi » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:54 pm

I did actually update mine a few weeks back when I was thinking about getting it to work again. But I gave up when the the setup of their software just crashed on Win10
Win8.1 x64 Prof. / Eventghost latest / auvisio vrc-1100-plugin and MCE Plugin / auvisio vrc-1100 and MCE Receiver / Logitech Harmony Hub / MediaPortal
Luca Brasi
Experienced User

Postby kgschlosser » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:08 am

try running the setup in compatibility mode. also DO NOT have the adapter plugged in when you install it. If you did and then tried to install the software and it crashed. here is what you will need to do.

plugin the adapter. go into device manager and delete/uninstall any drivers that automatically installed for it. then unplug the bugger... then install their software once their software is done installing then you can plugin the adapter.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby Luca Brasi » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:40 am

kgschlosser wrote:try running the setup in compatibility mode. also DO NOT have the adapter plugged in when you install it. If you did and then tried to install the software and it crashed. here is what you will need to do.

plugin the adapter. go into device manager and delete/uninstall any drivers that automatically installed for it. then unplug the bugger... then install their software once their software is done installing then you can plugin the adapter.

Allright, sounds like a plan. I'll check as soon as I find the time. next challenge will be to access the hdmi-cec setting on my onkyo without a working display :-)
Luca Brasi
Experienced User

PreviousNext

Return to Plugin Support