PHX01RN remote control plugin

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.

Re: PHX01RN remote control plugin

Postby WharfRat » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:12 am

blodskjegg...

Don't think I'm ignoring you, I have been working on it, and I want to find the solution to your problem.

driver.inf checked out ok.

Can you send me the XML configuration file in a ZIP for when you are trying to install the remote?
I think it would also be a good idead if you can also include a screen capture of the EventGhost Log pane that shows the problem.
Perhaps it is something there that I need to look at.

Thanks.
EventGhost 0.4.1.r1640
PHX01RN plugin v3.0.1
Windows XP 32bit (v5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2)
Windows7 64bit (v6.1 Build 7601 Service Pack 1)
WharfRat
Experienced User

Postby blodskjegg » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:20 pm

Ok, I've some new information on this case.
Tried the steps outlined on another computer now with win7 and it worked...
That means the remote is functional and supported by EG.

The problem is my mediacenter then.

Any tips ? Remove EG? Remove driver? I don't understand why it won't work... :s
blodskjegg

Postby WharfRat » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:38 am

I can still try and look at the XML configuration that you are using on your mediacenter, send it to me in a ZIP.

The only other thing I can think of is to see what is running on your computer by taking a look at the TaskManager.
EventGhost 0.4.1.r1640
PHX01RN plugin v3.0.1
WharfRat
Experienced User

Postby blodskjegg » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:26 am

Hi again.
I certainly don't think you ignore me, take your time. :) I appreciate all your help.

Where do I find this XML file? In EG folders?
I will try to find it and upload it later when I get back home from work and upload a screenshot too :)

Thanks.
blodskjegg

Postby WharfRat » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:47 pm

In the EventGhost program, File SaveAs whatever.xml

It is the document file which EventGhost uses for your configuration tree.

Just save the current one into My Documents or whatever and ZIP it to me here.
EventGhost 0.4.1.r1640
PHX01RN plugin v3.0.1
WharfRat
Experienced User

Postby blodskjegg » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:55 pm

I tried to remove everything, from driver to EG. Downloaded the new version (released 09 june) and followed the guide again, same result.

EG finds the phx remote, but as usual it wont install the driver for some reason. Or.. It installs the driver, but EG can't get it up.

Posting a zip with picture and the xmlfile.

Attachments
eg.zip
(142.63 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
blodskjegg

Postby WharfRat » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:25 pm

blodskjegg...

Your XML configuration file is also fine.

After translating the Norsk log, I see that the error message is:
GetUncPathOf Error: 1200 The specified device name is invalid

I am not exactly sure where that error message is originating from, so a little detective work might be necessary.
Certainly, this is not a problem specific to the PHX01RN, I think you would have similar problems on this machine with some of the other remote plugins.

However, there are two things other that I can think of:

1. There may be something that is blocking access to the USB ports. For that, you will need to look in TaskManager to see what Processes are running.

2. Your mediacenter hardware. There might be something like an iMON on your motherboard which could be causing us some problems. I do not know very much about the iMON, but it would help if we can identify what kind of system your mediacenter is. Once we know that, it might be possible to figure things out.

Those are the only two things I can think of right now.
If it is some kind of iMON device, then there are plugins here, for the iMON, which you could use instead...
EventGhost 0.4.1.r1640
PHX01RN plugin v3.0.1
WharfRat
Experienced User

Postby WharfRat » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:03 am

blodskjegg...

Sometimes I forget things.
Whenever I see mediacenter, I end up thinking about something else.

Take a look at How to setup W7 to recognise other remotes (Now Working), because I think that is what is going on.

I will have to remind myself more about MediaCenter.
Perhaps it should be another entry in the Remote Controls topic.
EventGhost 0.4.1.r1640
PHX01RN plugin v3.0.1
WharfRat
Experienced User

Postby incongruent » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:57 am

Hi there, me again.

After using the latest files, i'm having trouble. Often times when I resume from standby the remote will not work any longer. Even after restarting eventghost.

Here are the logs... I think it has something to do with the USB device being removed and added again.

Code: Select all
System.DeviceRemoved [u'\\\\?\\USB#VID_0755&PID_2626#5&126709b5&0&3#{a5dcbf10-6530-11d2-901f-00c04fb951ed}']
Unhandled exception in WorkerThread <ActionThread>:
Callers stack:
  File "threading.pyc", line 504, in __bootstrap
  File "threading.pyc", line 532, in __bootstrap_inner
  File "threading.pyc", line 484, in run
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Classes\ThreadWorker.py", line 354, in __MainLoop
    self.__DoOneEvent()
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Classes\ThreadWorker.py", line 342, in __DoOneEvent
    eg.PrintTraceback()
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Classes\ThreadWorker.py", line 289, in HandleAction
    action()
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Classes\EventThread.py", line 85, in Transfer
    event.SetShouldEnd()
Traceback (most recent call last) (1640):
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Classes\ThreadWorker.py", line 326, in __DoOneEvent
    self.HandleAction(action)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Classes\ActionThread.py", line 87, in HandleAction
    action()
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Classes\ThreadWorker.py", line 62, in __call__
    self.returnValue = self.func(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Classes\EventGhostEvent.py", line 126, in Execute
    if listener(self) == True:
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\plugins\PHX01RN\__init__.py", line 114, in ReconnectDevice
    self.winUsb.Start()
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Classes\WinUsb.py", line 335, in Start
    raise self.plugin.Exceptions.DeviceNotFound
SubDeviceNotFound
incongruent

Postby blodskjegg » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:28 am

Hello again, sorry for late reply. Been a bit busy lately.

Ok, just to clarify. The computer is an old laptop I installed WIN7 on and are calling my mediacenter, not a premade mediacenter.

But, when I think about why you ask, could using a wireless keyboard and mouse interfere with the IR reciever on the remote? The remote works like it is intended to do (I guess it's made for WMC) and the mouse moved around, it's just that EG can't install the driver for it...

Maybe I should uninstall the drivers for my keyboard and mouse also and try again. It's a logitech set.
blodskjegg

Postby WharfRat » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:19 am

incongruent...

Welcome back,
I apologize for not replying sooner.

We were working on 2 problems:
1. the remote not working after system standby/suspend
2. using the remote to wake the system

Let us ignore 2 for now, because 1 is more important for you.
The 5 garbage events that I mentioned before are not really errors, they are just events that occur when PC1 wakes up.
I will still get around to fixing that, but they do not have anything to do with the remote not working after resuming.

I did mention something about the S1 to S5 sleep/hibernate states before.
Are you able to see what you have in your BIOS settings?
The S1 to S5 states are defined by the ACPI specifications.

I know that PC1 only supports ACPI 1.0 so on Windows XP I can only go into S1.
That is probably why I can wake that system using the remote.
Unfortunately, on PC2, I cannot see much in the BIOS settings about what states the BIOS can be set for.
I do know that later versions of ACPI support more states, and that versions of Windows after Windows XP support those states.
I might have to look around the Internet for utilities that will report that kind of information to me on PC2.
If you want to know a little more about this, Google ACPI.

I am guessing that when you go into stanby/suspend, you are going into a high state that switches a lot of things off.
What bothers me is that you get the device disconnected sound before you have your problems.
This is what we will have to work on for now.

In your latest post, you have sent me a Log, which starts with System.DeviceRemoved
Does this only happen when you go into standy/suspend?
The Log certainly is complaining that the device is not there.

We have to figure out why your device is getting disconnected.
See if you can find out what your BIOS screens can tell me.
EventGhost 0.4.1.r1640
PHX01RN plugin v3.0.1
WharfRat
Experienced User

Postby WharfRat » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:20 am

blodskjegg...

Hi,
Yeah, it seems like the term mediacenter can cause quite a bit of confusion sometimes.
I ran across that link that I sent to you by mistake, and thought we might give that a try.
So it seems that it does not have an iMon or a Microsoft-compatible remote receiver built in.
(Although it may still be possible that there is something like that on board).

The wireless keyboard and mouse may be a more significant problem.
You say that the remote works like it is intended to.
I think that because you can move the cursor around the screen with the remote, the remote is working correctly.
So, as I understand it, the problem is only occuring when EventGhost is running and you try to install the PHX01RN plugin.

I think our best move now is to look at Device Manager.
Look at Procedure 01 and follow the steps shown in the section that starts with 'Open the Windows Control Panel'
Expand the Human Interface Devices section and do a screen capture of it for me.
That will tell us about what devices you have on the system.
The Logitech keyboard and mouse may be the problem, but a screen capture will give us more detail.

Thanks.
EventGhost 0.4.1.r1640
PHX01RN plugin v3.0.1
WharfRat
Experienced User

Postby incongruent » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:52 am

My supported bios states are s1, s3 and auto. When you asked me about it last time I changed from auto to s3.

I tried changing the remote to a different USB port incase this one had power during sleep. It caused the device to be installed as if it was new using whatever windows driver it uses rather than winusb. Before installing the winusb drivers and configuring evntghostt I tried to wake the PC with the remote that way and I believe it worked. It took longer than normal but I believe the PC was woken by the remote when using the original driver.
incongruent

Postby blodskjegg » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:15 pm

Ok, here is the picture:)

Tastatur = keyboard
enheter for menneskelig grensesnitt = human interface
Attachments
test.png
blodskjegg

Postby incongruent » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:00 pm

okay... so I resumed from standby this afternoon, and it was not responding to any keys pressed on the remote.... I decided to see what would happen if I press the power button on the remote and got some interesting result...

I had eventghost open and on top of all other windows... so I could see the log as it happened... and as soon as I pressed the remote's power button.. i see these logs in eventghost... and suddenly my remote is responding to left/right buttons....just because i pressed the power button.

System.DeviceRemoved [u'\\\\?\\USB#VID_0755&PID_2626#5&100ef34e&0&2#{a5dcbf10-6530-11d2-901f-00c04fb951ed}']
System.DeviceAttached [u'\\\\?\\USB#VID_0755&PID_2626#5&100ef34e&0&2#{a5dcbf10-6530-11d2-901f-00c04fb951ed}']

...okay... I just did a quick test and was able to completely reproduce this... and I realize why I am facing this problem when most people (unless you have a Harmony remote) don't face it...

Issue Description:
-When resuming from standby, eventghost is no longer recognizing any presses of the remote buttons for PHX01RN. Sometimes this happens when resuming, and sometimes it does not happen.

Steps to reproduce:
1. with eventghost installed and remote fully tested and working, put the PC into sleep mode
2. (this is the one that breaks it) ... press the Power button on the remote
3. wake up the PC (I do this by moving the mouse on my seperate wireless keyboard)

Expected Result:
- pressing remote buttons should be recognized by eventghost

Actual Result:
- pressing remote buttons are ignored and have no effect in event ghost

Note:
- if power button is not pressed between steps 1 and 2, then the problem does not occur.

I guess I am only experiencing this because my harmony remote is sending a power toggle button press everytime i switch the harmony input to PC... so if I turn that feature off, my problem should pretty much go away with the remote stopping working. I hope this helps someone figure out their problem as I'm sure theres at least 1 other guy with a harmony and this USB receiver.

I wonder if this plays into the resume issue? If in a standby state, the power button actually powers OFF the remote receiver... maybe this is why it is not actually waking it up. Is there another remote button besides power which will wake the PC?
incongruent

PreviousNext

Return to Plugin Support