Microsoft MCE Remote - Vista and newer

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: Microsoft MCE Remote - Vista and newer

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:53 pm

that is an enduring event my friend.

if you place that event into a macro with a repeat action and whatever action it is you want to run then the macro will loop over and over until you release the button.

that is why the EG busy icon stays lit red. that's telling you that it is processing an event because you are holding the button it keeps the same event running.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

Snacuum

Post by Snacuum » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:40 pm

Unfortunately it doesn't appear to run the loop. The event log on the left literally stops at the send IR action and doe not continue to the repeat macro action. Even if the 'enduring' event is indeed occuring, it's only enduring a single action, and not the whole macro. No matter how long I hold the button, the 'volume up/down' macro only completes once and changes volume by one tick. Unless I've made the macro wrong, it certainly isn't working how enduring events are as described.

The forum doesn't seem to want me to post macro code here so my description is just:

Macro Start
Event - MceRemote.Mce.VolumeDown
Action - MCE_Vista.TransmitIR (Massive IR Code Here) This is where the event log stops until I let go of the button
Action - Auto-Repeat Macro: 0.6
Macro End

Also I'm having another issue where certain transmit actions don't work at all. I record them via the plugin from my receiver remote, but when I try to test or run the action the receiever doesn't respond (it's remote still works fine). Continuing to test/send then just crashes EG like it was overwhelmed or something. I want to use this plugin with my MCE remote, but is there a compatible alternative for me to try out?

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:19 am

I really do know this is going to sound completely nutz.. But this is what I want you to do.

Open up eventghost as an administrator..
go into the plugin config dialog for the MCE remote Vista + plugin.
Stop and uninstall the service.

DO NOT REBOOT

save and exit eventghost.
then go to control panel -> administrative tools -> services
scroll through the services list and verify that the alternate MCEIR service is stopped. It may still be there and flagged for removal at next reboot. We just want to make sure it is stopped.

Now go to control panel -> device manager

You are going to need to poke about here a bit. Drivers get stuck in many different places.. I need you to uninstall any drivers that have USBCIR in the name or ehome. DO NOT DELETE THE DRIVER just uninstall it.

DO NOT UNPLUG YOUR RECEIVER

IMPORTANT
read this whole section before you restart!!!!
once you make sure they are all uninstalled. I want you to restart Windows.
Once the system starts to restart.. and I do mean right away. I want you to pick a button on the remote any button doesn't matter. point it at the receiver and keep on tapping the button. do not stop tapping the button even when the login screen appears. keep on tapping that bugger. if you can login with one hand then go right ahead..

You should hear 3-4 device installation successful chimes do not stop tapping that bugger until you have heard a few of them I think the magic number is 3. but it could be 4..

after the PC has started back up and the driver installed. reboot the computer again.
once it has booted up then open EG as an administrator and install the service..
save and close EG

reboot yet again. this is the last time i promise!

after it boots up hopefully the remote should work properly.

This is going to reset the whole USBCIR/ehome stack. You have to keep on pressing that button on the remote because on some remotes and receivers there is a sleep mode. the remote and receiver will enter this mode if they are not being used.. when the PC starts up the receiver wakes up.. it just so happens that the timing on the sleep ends up right in the middle of windows installing the drivers. While the system reports no issues there is actually a problem and the drivers end up 1/2 installed. the tapping of the button ensures the receiver will not go to sleep.

It took me a long time (years) to figure this out. It has corrected all kinds of odd and strange behavior when using the remote.. I personally had the exact same issue you are having now. i never check the enduring events to see if they worked or not but the IR codes not working and EG crashing.. This solved the issue for me..

it's worth a shot and should only take 5 minutes of your time to do.

REMEMBER if you plug the receiver into a different USB port at any point in time. remember to keep on tapping that remote button after you plug the thing in.
Windows will install a new set of drivers for each USB port you plug the thing into.

Snacuum

Post by Snacuum » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:50 pm

I've given your solution a few shots (including a complete reinstall of EG) and still my problem persists. Enduring events still don't repeat and some particular signals don't work. However it does seem more stable as it's not crashing as often, thanks!

For continuing to fixing problem is there any information or logs I can provide to help? I'm using EventGhost 0.5.0 rc6 and my receiver is a Pioneer VSX-831. My remote I got off ebay and is a little hard to identify; it looks like the standard black HP remote with the wider bump on the right and the four coloured buttons, the IR unit is the grey box with two blaster leadscoming out the back.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:55 pm

it sounds like you have the pinnacle USB IR Receiver. That is the one that I have and It works like a charm..

I did manage to get the original source code to the service to compile,. I had to make some alterations to it to do so because of the missing components. I will have a look see at it and possibly I can determine what is going on. It has been a while since I have messed around with IR remotes hopefully my bean still has the information stored in it and I won't have to spend to mych time learning all over again. LOL

Snacuum

Post by Snacuum » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:42 am

It has been a while since I have messed around with IR remotes
Thanks. Is there something else you use nowadays? I bought this one because it was cheap.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:22 pm

I do not use the MCE remote vista plugin. I have a slew of Arduino micro controllers scatter throughout my house. Each one handles the decoding of the IR and sends events into EventGhost. Each one also has a static IP address so I know which room the ir code is coming from. so all of my remotes are identical and all have the exact same IR codes programmed into them. so I can carry a remote from room to room and it will automatically switch to controlling the devices in that room without the need for any user intervention.