Microsoft MCE Remote - Vista and newer

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.

Re: Microsoft MCE Remote - Vista and newer

Postby kgschlosser » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:55 am

that can be done without the changing of jumpers. and i didn't know there were any jumpers anymore on a mainboard for anything besides resetting the bios and even now that's automatic.
A loved one and Time, The 2 things that can never be replaced.

Family, The only thing you don't get to choose in life.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby kgschlosser » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:56 am

what mainboard do you have??

model and mfg

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby cncb » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:50 pm

The AlternateMceIrService keeps shutting down on me unexpectedly (Windows 10 x64). Any setting that could be messed up or a log that could tell me why this is happening? Thanks.
cncb

Postby kgschlosser » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:07 am

go into the windows event viewer and chick in there to see why the service is failing

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby karl_falz » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:08 pm

Hello, dear friends of EventGhost :-)

I am happily using EventGhost for a number of years, but recently it has started giving me grief that I have not been able to resolve by myself.

My HTPC is running on Windows 10 64-bit with an eHome infrared receiver. The latest version of EventGhost is installed and it is started from Windows Task Scheduler using a standard user account, but with highest permissions. The alternative MCE service has been installed and is running fine, at least it appears to be. There are no entries in the event log which hint at potential problems, at least I could not find any.

This setup is normally running fine and I mostly use it for the remote control of DVBViewer. The system is set to go to sleep after a certain period of inactivity and no TV shows are being recorded in the background. Most of the time, the system works fine after resuming from sleep. Sometimes, however, EventGhost does not receive any events anymore from the IR remote, the icon stays green all the time even if the eHome receiver confirms with a red flash of the LED that a signal has been received. The alternative MCE service is running according to the services info. Restarting of EventGhost or of the alternative MCE service does not help, only after a restart the system operates normally again.

Any hints what I should be looking for? Am I looking in the right places? Any other idea?

Thank you,
Karl
karl_falz

Postby kgschlosser » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:51 am

karl_falz wrote:Hello, dear friends of EventGhost :-)

I am happily using EventGhost for a number of years, but recently it has started giving me grief that I have not been able to resolve by myself.

My HTPC is running on Windows 10 64-bit with an eHome infrared receiver. The latest version of EventGhost is installed and it is started from Windows Task Scheduler using a standard user account, but with highest permissions. The alternative MCE service has been installed and is running fine, at least it appears to be. There are no entries in the event log which hint at potential problems, at least I could not find any.

This setup is normally running fine and I mostly use it for the remote control of DVBViewer. The system is set to go to sleep after a certain period of inactivity and no TV shows are being recorded in the background. Most of the time, the system works fine after resuming from sleep. Sometimes, however, EventGhost does not receive any events anymore from the IR remote, the icon stays green all the time even if the eHome receiver confirms with a red flash of the LED that a signal has been received. The alternative MCE service is running according to the services info. Restarting of EventGhost or of the alternative MCE service does not help, only after a restart the system operates normally again.

Any hints what I should be looking for? Am I looking in the right places? Any other idea?

Thank you,
Karl

i'll be willing to bet you either have an ati video card or an ati chipset.

need to know that because there is an issue related to a driver and usb ports not working after you resume from sleep.

you can test this by uplugging the ir receiver and plugging it back in. it shouldn't start working. if it does then you need to go into your device manager and check all the power settings for the usb hubs.

if it doesn't work. try plugging it into a different usb port. or you can unplug your mouse and plug it into the one that the ir receiver was plugged into. if the mouse doesn't work then it could be that ati driver issue and i can walk you through how to solve it.

if you plug the ir receiver into a different port, make sure you plug it into one that you know is working. that way we will be able to find out if it's eventghost or not.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby karl_falz » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:26 am

Thank you for the quick response. Let me give you a more detailed overview of my system first, in which there is no ATI video card installed, although it was in the past.

The HTPC is custom built based on an ASUS P8 H67-M PRO which sports an Intel i3-2125 with an HD 3000 integrated graphics card. EventGhost is installed in version 0.4.1.r1722, the alternate MCE service in v1.1.1. All drivers should be up-to-date.

The remote control is a Logitech Harmony that is configured as an MCE extender.

I followed your instructions to unplug the eHome receiver and, accidentally, made an interesting observation. I first checked if EventGhost still receives events after plugging the receiver back in by using the arrow and OK buttons on my Logitech: no event arrived. However, the IR signals do cause events which are processed by Windows because I could navigate through the lists in the EventGhost windows and operate dialogs. Would that not indicate that the device driver is working fine and that its a matter of the alternative MCE service that it does not "attach" correctly again after the device is plugged back in?

After a reboot, all was fine again.

The entire procedure was repeated with another USB port on the back -- the receiver normally is connected to the front panel -- with identical results. Having read in another post that this might help with other problems, I uninstalled the eHome device from the device manager and rebooted, then I repeated the procedure of unplugging the receiver and plugging it back in again: same result.

It is perhaps important to repeat that the problem is not reproducible 100% after each resume and that EventGhost continues to work many times; I have not counted success vs failure yet. The USB hubs so that that the system cannot put them to sleep to save power. I have put the HTPC through a few sleep/resume cycles and, so far, EventGhost worked fine. It is not clear to me how conclusive this result is because up to now the problems occurred when the system had been at sleep for a several hours and I don't know if that makes a difference.
karl_falz

Postby kgschlosser » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:25 pm

ok, it sounds like what you need to do is start eventghost as an administrator. you can do this my right clicking the icon and click run as Administrator.

uninstall the AlternateMCEIR service. then reboot the computer (may or may not be necessary) then run eventghost as an Administrator again. and reinstall the AlternateMCEIR service.

there are some registry keys that are changed about when you install the service and what may have happened is (i do not know if you ever had it working in windows 10) but during the upgrade windows recreated the keys. or during a windows update it remade the keys. but we need to put it back the way eventghost needs it to be. and the only way to di it is by the removal and reinstall of the service. and the run as Administrator is a very important step. please do not forget it.

Lets see if that helps you out. it should because it sounds as though the remote works properly.

what i am not understanding is why this only happens after the computer sleeps. but i would still start there and see if it solves he problem.

another place we can check if this doesn't cure it is the eventviewer and see if the AlternameMCEIR service quits working at all. when you wake the computer we may have to give it a swift kick to get it going if that is the case.

but go ahead and remove and reinstall it and then we will proceed from there

thanks.

K

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby kgschlosser » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:28 pm

karl_falz wrote:It is perhaps important to repeat that the problem is not reproducible 100% after each resume and that EventGhost continues to work many times; I have not counted success vs failure yet. The USB hubs so that that the system cannot put them to sleep to save power. I have put the HTPC through a few sleep/resume cycles and, so far, EventGhost worked fine. It is not clear to me how conclusive this result is because up to now the problems occurred when the system had been at sleep for a several hours and I don't know if that makes a difference.

well for go the last post. and take a look in the event viewer first and see if the service has failed for some reason. it may take some digging it would be in the system log

K

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby karl_falz » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:25 am

I have now un- and re-installed the alternative MCE service and have started EventGhost as administrator. I'll keep you posted how the system behaves.

As a side note: the HTPC was running with EventGhost under Windows 10 and the alternative MCE service since Windows 10 came out last year. I can't recall exactly when the behaviour started deteriorating this year. Also, there were no messages in the event viewer about failures and according to services, the service was running fine. Restarting the service did not help.
karl_falz

Postby kgschlosser » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:42 pm

i do not have a physical windows 10 computer to see if i can instigate it to do the same unfortunately. it's odd behavior that it happens sometimes and not others. there has to be something that is causing it. and when these kinds of problems occur a pen and paper helps a lot. as well as going screen shots of your process list to see if there is a common denominator. there could be something running that is causing it. there is a utility called hyjackthis (the name is misleading)

https://sourceforge.net/projects/hjt/

i use this utility to track down malware and spyware. not saying that's the problem. but what it does is pretty much take a snapshot of your system settings and state data and saves it to a text file for later review.

you may consider using something like this to have a record of what is going on and when that way you will be able to locate the issue and what might be causing it.

you can set this little utility up to run automatically from inside of eventghost using the system suspended action and the system resume action. that way it records the before and after to see what is happening.

or on a timer using the schedulghost plugin or the timer plugin. the timer plugin may be useful because you can have the payload from the event set the file name so the file that is created by hyjackthis would change each and every time. so it wouldn't overwrite. doing a timer of every hour should be sufficient. then when it occurs you can attach the last few files to a forum post and i can take a look.

you can also run eventghost with the -debug command line parameter that may show something as well. that creates a log file in your %appdata%\eventghost\ folder and shows things that aren't posted in the normal visual log.

something could pop up in there. but unless we nail down something specific that could be causing this it's going to be hard to find it. computers don't start doing something different on their own. something has to change that causes a problem. and intermittent ones are the hardest and really stink.

but use a pen and paper write down what you were doing and what you had running each and every time you walk away form the computer. and once the problem has shown it's self 3-4 times. look back and see what is the same or different .

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby karl_falz » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:53 am

Thanks for this detailed writeup. The utility sounds quite interesting, I had not heard of it before.

So far, there have not been any problems when resuming the HTPC from sleep. Too bad that I have made two independent changes within two days, the reinstallation of the alternative service and disabling the power management of all USB hubs, and it will therefore not be possible to disentangle the effects. If all goes well for a while, I'll perhaps change the power management of the hubs again to see if that changes the resume behaviour.

Not sure if this is of interest: when the eHome IR receiver is removed and plugged back in again, events caused by IR signals are still not forwarded to EventGhost. They are, however, processed by the OS, because, for instance, UP and DOWN events move the cursor in texts or EventGhost list boxes.
karl_falz

Postby kgschlosser » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:03 pm

that might be due to a pipe issue. unless we really start digging into windows 10 behavior when plugging and unplugging the receiver we won't know. maybe windows 10 does something new like remove the usb drivers when you unplug the device instead of leaving them there. and when you plug it back in it installs them again. this could be why the reg keys get replaced. there is a program called USBDView

at this link for 64 bit

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usbdeview-x64.zip

this is a nice utility for telling you everything you could want to know about the USB drivers that are installed.

if you run this program then unplug the receiver and the drivers for the receiver disappear from the list in USBDview then windows is actually removing the drivers when you unplug it. and that could be the reason for the behavior. because if you had power management turned on for the USB then it would turn off the USB ports there by disconnecting the device and windows would remove the drivers. and when you wake the computer then it installs them again resetting the whole process that the alternatemceir service puts into place. which would cause you to have to reinstall the service.

that sounds like a viable explanation, you would have to confirm it for me though. that way i know and will be able to assist someone else that may have the same problem.

every single version of windows before 10 installs a new set of drivers for each device plugged into each port. it is not unusual to have miltiple drivers for the same device installed if you plugged the device into different USB ports on the computer. that is why i go through and clean everything out. using that program. i delete everything except the hubs. and then unplug the keyboard and mouse and plug them back in.

windows on startup loads every single one of those drivers even if they aren't in use.

i had a machine i worked on had hundreds and hundreds of USB drivers installed.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby kgschlosser » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:04 pm

oh and one more thing is that this may have just shown up due to a windows update that updated the drivers for the usb hubs and added the power management features in the update.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby karl_falz » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:50 pm

Thanks, I'll let you know, but that will take until the weekend because I don't have access to the machine until then.
karl_falz

PreviousNext

Return to Plugin Support