Microsoft MCE Remote - Vista and newer

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: Microsoft MCE Remote - Vista and newer

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:27 pm

@Sem;colon

What was the issue with the plugin not closing?. This way I know what to watch out for if the problem comes up again with another plugin. and if it is something that could potentially show up more then one or 2 times I can create a wrapper for it with a depreciation notice. It would be most helpful.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

Sem;colon
Experienced User

Post by Sem;colon » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:09 pm

I can't remember in detail, you need to make a diff :P
But it wasn't much... I remember wondering why it even worked before

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:43 pm

ok fair enough. Just trying to make it a bit easier for everyone

loveleejohn
Experienced User

Post by loveleejohn » Tue May 09, 2017 9:10 pm

Hi everyone, can anyone explain how this plugin can be used to control a SEIKI SE39UY04 Tv to turn the TV on and off and maybe even to change the inputs from HDMI to VGA all from within eventghost? I have a windows 10 pc running eventghost 0.5rc. I am using the following remote control http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-MEDIA-CENTER ... SwUKxYlJxE I do not have the second cable that has the red part on it. Is this needed?

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Tue May 09, 2017 11:24 pm

yup that is needed. it is an IR led. you can make one if you want to. all you need is a headphone plug and an IR led. sometimes you can get away with a UV led or even a red led. but you would have to splice the led into the wires for a headphone plug. but you should be able to buy one for like a dollar on amazon. it is either going to be called an IR transmitter or an IR blaster.

loveleejohn
Experienced User

Post by loveleejohn » Wed May 10, 2017 1:08 am

Grrrr. Of course it needs the one part I never got when I bought it. :lol: Thanks for the tips kg. I'll see if my MacGyverism can cobble something together with stuff I have laying around. Fingers crossed!

loveleejohn
Experienced User

Post by loveleejohn » Wed May 10, 2017 1:24 am

Just to be sure I'm headed down the right track, does this instructable look like it would accomplish the goal or is it overkill to use two IR LEDs? http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Inf ... hone-iPod/

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed May 10, 2017 4:37 am

well that's close. but with blasters they don't use a stereo headphone plug. so what you are going to do is you will wire to the white and the shielding.. the anode (the longer wire on the LED) goes to the white. and the cathode goes to the shielding.
ledwiring.jpg
and you will only need one LED it's a waste to use 2 because you are not going to overdrive the LED (amplify the signal) and also because you are going to stick that LED right onto the eye of whatever it is you are going to control. now... in the case of wanting to control multiple items you can either split that thing into a bunch of LEDs (looks like doo doo) or you can go and buy one of these bad larries https://www.sparkfun.com/products/retired/10732 this will allow you to transmit IR up to 35 feet (no BS) and just point the thing in the general direction of your gear.doing this is going to require a couple of parts one being a USB cable the second an old USB cell phone charger. this is what you would use to power the thing.. the power and ground from the USB go to the power and ground on the amplified IR piece. and the headphone white goes to the S or signal line and the shielding will also go to the ground just like the ground on the USB

loveleejohn
Experienced User

Post by loveleejohn » Wed May 10, 2017 12:10 pm

kgschlosser wrote:well that's close. but with blasters they don't use a stereo headphone plug. so what you are going to do is you will wire to the white and the shielding.. the anode (the longer wire on the LED) goes to the white. and the cathode goes to the shielding.
ledwiring.jpg
Excellent explanation! Thanks a million for the explanation. I'm gonna give it a swing because I think I have an IR LED around here somewhere and because you even posted a picture for me! Fingers crossed that I won't burn the house down! :lol:

loveleejohn
Experienced User

Post by loveleejohn » Wed May 10, 2017 6:03 pm

... So I cobbled something together by connecting this LED https://www.taydaelectronics.com/infrar ... l7400.html to one leg of this speaker cable https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/f6c869 ... nBg=FFFFFF by attaching the long anode leg of the IR to the white inner cable and attaching the shorter cathode leg to the shielding. I twisted the stranded wires together before soldering to ensure good contact. Sadly after learning the IR code in eventghost, and placing the ir bulb directly against the spot where the ir eye should be on the SEIKI tv it looks like this one might be dead in the water. I'll reboot everything and see if anything changes.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed May 10, 2017 6:48 pm

It may be that you might have to tie to the red for the abnode. I can't remember every single thing that I have come across. Also. Do not learn the code. Better to grab a known working code to test with. Remotecentral.com will have the codes. If you have a digital volt meter you can test for which leads it is. It's going to happen fast and will be only 1.5 volts or so. Will probably show up as less because of the 36 thousand times a second it's flashing

loveleejohn
Experienced User

Post by loveleejohn » Wed May 10, 2017 7:11 pm

It's no worries kg. I just appreciate your help and tips. :) I'm gonna try a few more things and then cave in and order a transmitter for a couple bucks if it gives me too much heartburn. :lol:

loveleejohn
Experienced User

Post by loveleejohn » Wed May 10, 2017 9:11 pm

OMG! So I'm a complete newbie coder, newbie welder, newbie electrician as well apparently but somehow I was able to sort this out and I am far too happy for this little victory! :lol:

Thanks a million for the update to the plugin sem;colon! And an enormous thank you to kg for the tips! Once I soldered to the red lead everything worked a treat! Time to celebrate and have some dinner!

http://192.168.1.41:3480/data_request?i ... oggleState
Attachments
I-Got-Moves-like-Jaguar-Funny-Dance.jpg

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu May 11, 2017 12:20 am

if it can be done. you can do it. doesn't matter what it is. it just may take longer and require some practice. just never give up and remove the words "I don't know how" from you vocabulary. just because you don't know doesn't mean you can't know. and i will tell you what.. would you be this happy if you just simply ordered it??? HELL NO!!! so it's always worth doing it yourself. you gain a HUGE amount of pride. especially when someone asks. who set this up for you.. and you can say to them "I did. right down to soldering the IR blaster." It's ok to put yourself on an ego trip.

Do me a favor tho. take some photos of it.. draw in little arrows. draw stick figures i don't care. but could you make up a little tutorial for me and put it in the tutorials section. The reason I ask this is because everyone loses those things. but a lot of people will have the items to make it from . A crappy remote that isn't used kicking around they can steal and ir led from. And a set of headphones where only one side works because a wire ripped out of the ear piece, or broke at the jack. just tell them to make sure it's the right ear that still works. LOL

now you can add newbie Maker to the list as well.

loveleejohn
Experienced User

Post by loveleejohn » Thu May 11, 2017 1:07 am

I am definitely going to be working on this for ya kg! Just be patient cause you already know how long it's gonna take me to draft up some stick figures! :lol: Seriously though it certainly is a great feeling when things finally start to work as expected. That illustration of yours certainly was a huge help. Thanks again and yes the newbie maker is on the loose now!