Sony TV Network Remote Control Plugin

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.

Re: Sony TV Network Remote Control Plugin

Postby zian » Mon May 15, 2017 1:53 pm

3000 wrote:I used to do it via an HDMI-CEC Adapter. I thought maybe I could eliminate that. But the alternative is too complicated for me.

But thank you for your answer! Always a help :)

edit: still thinking about your answer:

I have an HTPC. Can I install the esp8266 onto the mainboard and connect it via usb to my Sony TV? Not sure how this would work ...

Hi there 3000. Ignore this if you wish... but...
Do you still have/ use your CEC adapter? If not and you still own it would you like to sell/donate it?
I WANT TO BUY IT for my own use. Maybe.

BUT... if there is a developer here that would agree to try to write plugin/code for it (if that is needed still)
Donate (or sell) to them? I'll chip in even.

I have wanted one of those for a while... but not at retail prices.
lol

Does that make sense?
Thanks 3000
eventghost.net
Be there or be square.
zian
Site Admin

Postby kgschlosser » Mon May 15, 2017 5:29 pm

3000 wrote:
I have an HTPC. Can I install the esp8266 onto the mainboard and connect it via usb to my Sony TV? Not sure how this would work ...

The esp8266 is a computer. It runs python. It is also a WiFi access point or a WiFi client. And.... It is the size of a dime. Very small the only reason for the usb connection to the TV is the esp has gpio pins so it has the ability to read voltages but also output on the different pins. We would only be using the power and ground in the USB cable to connect to the esp. and have the esp look for the 5 volts that the usb port on the TV outputs when the TV is on. We would also connect an it led so it can transmit ir signals like the power on remote code for your TV. And because it has WiFi it can connect to EventGhost over a network so the esp can tell EventGhost when the TV is on or off. But EventGhost can also send a message to the esp to tell it to turn the power on. You can also connect the esp to the serial port o. The TV if it is equipped with one. This could be I. The form of a headphone jack or an actual 9 pin serial connection. If it has the serial port then you can be rid of the ir led the USB cable as well as the network control. Because the esp can control every single piece of the TV at that point. You just have e eg tell the esp what to do.

Now that being said. Because the esp can run Python and has WiFi on it. You can have it host webpages. So you can make a webpage with nice fancy buttons that you can access from anywhere in the world to control the TV from your phone if you wanted to
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby 3000 » Tue May 16, 2017 9:23 pm

hehe zian, just seen this. Happy to give you an answer. But I do think it's a funny idea to ask me to sell it to you. Where do you live? The transport will be probably more expensive than the device itself. It was pretty cheap brand new!!

So my suggestion is: just go to eBay and buy one. It's not like it's sold out or something. You will get it faster and cheaper over there - I'm sure.
sign my petition to save a 28-year-old young mother who is fighting Stage 4 cancer: https://www.change.org/p/help-cancer-patients-like-gemma-nuttall-by-making-immunotherapy-available-on-the-nhs

Postby 3000 » Tue May 16, 2017 10:12 pm

kgschlosser wrote:You can also connect the esp to the serial port o. The TV if it is equipped with one. This could be I. The form of a headphone jack or an actual 9 pin serial connection.

hi there, this is the back of my TV. The green one on the right looks good right?http://cdn1.expertreviews.co.uk/sites/expertreviews/files/images/dir_425/er_photo_212887.jpg?itok=fKroLkXB
sign my petition to save a 28-year-old young mother who is fighting Stage 4 cancer: https://www.change.org/p/help-cancer-patients-like-gemma-nuttall-by-making-immunotherapy-available-on-the-nhs

Postby kgschlosser » Tue May 16, 2017 11:37 pm

What is the model number of the TV?
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby zian » Wed May 17, 2017 1:07 am

3000 wrote:hehe zian, just seen this. Happy to give you an answer. But I do think it's a funny idea to ask me to sell it to you. Where do you live? The transport will be probably more expensive than the device itself. It was pretty cheap brand new!!

So my suggestion is: just go to eBay and buy one. It's not like it's sold out or something. You will get it faster and cheaper over there - I'm sure.

Okie doke.
Nevermind... And thank you.
eventghost.net
Be there or be square.
zian
Site Admin

Postby blaher » Wed May 17, 2017 2:55 am

3000 wrote:hi there, is it also possible to turn ON the TV?

Thank you!!

Yes, download 0.0.2 of the plugin: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6067#p39251

blaher wrote:Edit: I forgot to mention that with the newer models you can wake them up over the network now, rather than relying on a separate WOL packet, as mentioned in the first post by tobyg.
blaher
Experienced User

Postby 3000 » Wed May 17, 2017 6:05 am

@blaher: yes, I did. Thank you for updating the plugin!
However, it still won't power it on. I guess mine is an older model.
how does a "separate WOL packet" work? And I also couldn't find a Preshared Key :(

I guess that means it's not working on my TV?

@kgschlosser: Model name is Sony-KD65X9005A. Can I go and buy the esp8266? (Plus a headphone jack for the connection?)

Postby kgschlosser » Wed May 17, 2017 3:39 pm

your TV does not have a serial port plug. so that's not going to work for ya
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby 3000 » Wed May 17, 2017 3:49 pm

ok, thank you
then it's back to HDMI-CEC.
Unless this WOL-packet thing would work...

Postby blaher » Fri May 19, 2017 3:18 am

3000 wrote:@blaher: yes, I did. Thank you for updating the plugin!
However, it still won't power it on. I guess mine is an older model.
how does a "separate WOL packet" work? And I also couldn't find a Preshared Key :(

I guess that means it's not working on my TV?

Navigate to: [Settings] → [Network] → [Home Network Setup] → [IP Control]
Set [Authentication] to [Normal and Pre-Shared Key]
There should be a new menu entry [Pre-Shared Key]. Set it to 1111, or you can change it to something else, and set the plugin accordingly.

The screenshot is how to use a WOL packet.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
blaher
Experienced User

Postby kgschlosser » Fri May 19, 2017 6:16 am

OK so i did a little modification to the code. this is backwards compatible (well... it should be...).

I cleaned up the code.
I restructured how the macros get added when the plugin gets installed.
I removed the use of "global"
I changed how the SOAP string gets written.
I added a help section
I added a WOL feature that will automatically work if you select the option in the plugin config
I re wrote the config dialogs (better formatting)
I changed the use of old eg.RegisterPlugin parameters.
I added internationalism support

Plugin is attached. simply double click the file

I do not own a Sony TV so there could be a bug or 2. so hopefully someone will lend a hand and test the thing
Attachments
SonyNetworkRemote-0.0.3.egplugin
(6.41 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby 3000 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:28 pm

Well, I'll be damned...Guys, it's working :) I didn't find the Pre-Shared Key Settings, but adding the IP and MAC-Address worked. I can turn on my 2013 Sony TV using Eventghost.

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH :)

Postby kgschlosser » Fri May 19, 2017 4:04 pm

Is that using the new plugin. I posted?
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby kgschlosser » Fri May 19, 2017 4:06 pm

And see where there is a will a way will be found. If you are using the new plugin and come across an issue let me know
kgschlosser
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Plugin Support