Adafruit MQTT Client

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.
krambriw
Plugin Developer

Adafruit MQTT Client

Post by krambriw » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:11 pm

Here is the first release of a plugin mentioned in subject.

To start, you need to register with io.adafruit.com to get access.

This plugin is a MQTT Client that is able to connect, subscribe to & publish events to io.adafruit.com. The adafruit site is still in beta version so I had to spend a lot on exception handling. Even though this was annoying to begin, later thoughts convinced me that it actually was good and hopefully helped making a more stable plugin from start.

Please note that due to the current situation with io.adafruit.com in beta, I also had to modify the adafruit library to make everything work in EG. We will see if I need to modify those changes later when adafruit catches up. Anyway, I do not expect that future versions will break your configuration. Everything you need is also included when you download the plugin.

Below some screen shots that will help you install & configure the plugin. Also a view back at adafruit where we can see our feeds and events being published

1) Download & extract the plugin to the EG plugin folder

2) Restart EG, add the plugin to your configuration and configure it and actions according to your needs

Here is the configuration dialog for the plugin
Skärmklipp.JPG
This is a configuration for an action (I use it to publish events from my RFXtrx transceiver)
Skärmklipp1.JPG
The dashboard showing my feeds with published events
Skärmklipp2.JPG

krambriw
Plugin Developer

Re: Adafruit MQTT Client

Post by krambriw » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:36 am

Found a more efficient way to publish events
Version 0.0.2 available

krambriw
Plugin Developer

Post by krambriw » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:52 pm

Responding to myself:

This morning was a mess with io.adafruit.com. Fully understandable since they are currently migrating their server farm. It gave me good reasons to improve the exception handling in the plugin to make it more stable and able to recover interruptions (you may try this yourself by disconnecting the network for a while, then re-connecting it again and you should experience that everything is well recovered).

New version 0.0.3 uploaded and available

SupahNoob

Post by SupahNoob » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:18 pm

Walter,

Why use this plugin instead of the paho library - which is incredibly simple to setup as a macro on startup. For the simple fact that you can then control things via Adafruit's online portal? Maybe I have answered my own question, but it seems like Adafruit is simply looking to piggyback their online UI off of MQTT then?

Thanks,
- SN

krambriw
Plugin Developer

Post by krambriw » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:06 am

For you (and for me and some others) it could very well be like that as you suggest. But a plugin is simpler for the average user. Besides, but this might be personal, I think it is a bit easier from code writing perspective.

krambriw
Plugin Developer

Post by krambriw » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:08 am

New version uploaded.

Improved connection handling with io.adafruit.com

They had a problem, fixed it and the old version did not work properly