xAP Plugin

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.
V_J
Experienced User

Re: xAP Plugin

Post by V_J » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:31 am

I will just use the code snippet you posted, and copy the eg.result data to a local variable in the script.

I was using multiple actions (scripts) as a test case, I planned to put them together at one point anyway. I suspect the behaviour is normal on a real time system, and assuming that the value of a global stays the same for the duration of the script is a bad way to deal with real time systems. :) Copying it to a local variable and setting all the actions in one script should solve it. I will try it later this week.

V_J
Experienced User

Post by V_J » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:00 pm

I could not get the code snippet to work ("not callable" as error), but I could copy eg.result to a local variable. All things put in one script, using the local variable and it all works without problems.

So no need to fix anything... It just requires proper use. :)

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:37 pm

That was a proposed solution. Not a current working setup
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

V_J
Experienced User

Post by V_J » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:14 am

I modified all the scripts that use results from the XAP plugin to first copy the result to a local variable in the script.

I tested it with a number of squeezeboxes playing in parallel and no errors appear in the log of Eventghost. So I don't think it is necessary to change anything to the xap plugin, it just needs to be used correctly. :-)

The integration of the squeezeboxes with my home automation system is taking shape: I have full control over the squeezeboxes and can display info on what is playing (artist, album, elapsed time, ...) on the interface. Now I still need to finalize control of the amplifier (linking its serial control using eventghost to the rest of the system, and that would be the end... :)

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:03 pm

do you like how the xAP plugin functions? I do need to release another version with mentions of the original creator of the protocol. i was in conversation with him for a while about the working of the hub portion of the protocol. so i could make the plugin act as both client and hub. as well as be able to auto switch between the 2.

I would like to add you name in there as well if at all possible for the beta testing of the plugin if that is ok.

oh one question for you. are you running the beta of EG?? i have not tested to see if the plugin works properly i do not believe that there should be any issues.

and if there is anything else i need to add please let me know.

V_J
Experienced User

Post by V_J » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:53 am

The plugin is perfect: it does just what it is supposed to. The debugging feature is great, as otherwise it really overloads the log. For that reason, I do not use payload but eg.result (not sure if there are any difference because of this).

Feel free to mention me.

I have not tried the beta version of EG, but am not sure I have time in the next few weeks.

It may be interesting to mention in the manual that subsequent xap packets can change eg result, of one was not parsed before that, the data is lost. So best to use a local variable. :)

But perhaps it could also be interesting to ask Pako to add the plugin as standard?

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:24 am

I know they are steering away from packaging plugins with EG in favor of a plugin repository that would be accessible from right inside of EG. and I would much rather see time spent working on that solution then packaging plugins. ya know?? 8)
there is a lot of really good brain storming going on with EG. so it will be really awesome to see what turns out from it all.

one of the things i decided to spear head is adding the ability for EG to import external python packages in a simplistic manner. i am sooo close to getting it working properly.

but i think i may have to ditch one of the methods as it is becoming a real hassle.

V_J
Experienced User

Post by V_J » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:45 am

Just reinstalled my entire system and noticed that the last version of the xap plugin is not on the first post... :)

It is still working nicely, so not much to report. I'm just getting everything set up for when I go abroad next month, so my girlfriend can use the system without too much hassle... So not starting any new things with it...

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:06 am

no worries. I don't know why the latest version is not on the front page.. It could be that it was to fix a bug and i didn't want to do a release of it until i knew if it fixed it or not.. and then forgot about it