Log Scrolling Lock

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Log Scrolling Lock

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:56 pm

EventGhost Log Scrolling Lock

No Longer Supported

This Plugin is no longer needed as the developers of EG made the newest version do what this plugin added to EG.

I will leave the file attached in case someone is using an older version of EG.
Attachments
LogScrollLock.zip
(1.91 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
Last edited by kgschlosser on Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:11 am, edited 4 times in total.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

tjabas
Experienced User

Re: Log Scrolling Lock

Post by tjabas » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:07 pm

thank you very much for this plugin, it seems to work. but is there a way to also get the configuration menu to stand still when you are scrolling it upp and down, as for now it jumps back to the events/macros that being prossesed.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:06 am

what menu are you talking about??

there is no configuration dialog for this plugin.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:58 am

**Update. Plugin wasn't closing clean. so had to make a slight modification so it wouldn't produce an error in the debug log. EG would always shutdown. it would just throw an error if EG was in debug mode.

it is attached to the first post

Pako
Plugin Developer

Post by Pako » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:45 am

I do not understand the benefits of this plugin.
For me quite enough checkbox "Scroll log".
Can you explain what's the difference?

Pako

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:16 am

you know how when you scroll up in the log to view an item.

and if an event occurs it will jump to the bottom.

this stops that from happening

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:21 am

ya know i never noticed that tiney checkbox at the bottom of eventghost took me a while to find it.

you would think that it would be located in the view dropdown with all of the rest of the logging options.

never tried it tho. this one works automatically anyways. and i have been using EG for a couple of years now and never noticed that checkbox..

that's funny

skribb
Experienced User

Post by skribb » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:09 pm

kgschlosser wrote:ya know i never noticed that tiney checkbox at the bottom of eventghost took me a while to find it.

you would think that it would be located in the view dropdown with all of the rest of the logging options.

never tried it tho. this one works automatically anyways. and i have been using EG for a couple of years now and never noticed that checkbox..

that's funny
What's interesting is that actually that check box doesn't work sometimes. It will still scroll the log often.
Automation is life.

Win7 64bit
EG: v0.5.0-rc4

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:46 am

i did have to update the plugin because if you run EG in hidden mode there was a traceback i will post the new version soon.

IDK i just like this because it's automatic. i can just grab the marker and pull it back and i don't have to remember to click a checkbox first. and then remember to click it again after i am done.

i have been using it since creation and i have not had a single error from it myself. except for the running eg in hidden mode that someone told me about. but it was a simple fix.

and all i really did was override the existing EG handler for the event of adding data to the log, i used all the same variables and what have you i just did some math on it to figure out what log items to actually show.

i have been working on a couple of other EG add ons/upgrades to the core items.

like if you are a coder and making a plugin and you are building the config panels for the plugin or actions if there is an error when the panel loads. EG adds the panel. the traceback hits before the panel shows. so it doesn't actually show up so you can't close it. but eg has it listed as being open and will not let you close EG, you have to kill the process.

rather annoying i think

another is having EG either automatically save or not save when the system calls a reboot.

or to have eg close all open dialogs when you click to close it. instead of just flashing at you.

i am still working on the watchdog timer. i think i am very close to a solution for that one. it's very complicated though because there is no true polling action in EG. so what i have started to make a way to have an event triggered and then go and look and see if the event is in the queue and if it is to delete the event and restart the timer. and if it isn't then it means EG is frozen and the thing will restart eventghost. another thing i have thought about was checking to see if the thread for eg is alive. but i am not sure how that would respond if its frozen.

i just went through and made an upgrade to the addactionfromlist because it doesn't allow for marking an action hidden or not. and also changed the BoxedGroup so that way when you ask for the column items if it's a single item added and not a text, widget it will group those under a column of -1 instead of 0 because it's nice to be able to grab that so you can use the equalize widths on each columns and get something really nicely formatted and aligned but for a single item i would see it mainly used for something like a description of what a widget does and those can get kind of long so having EG equalize those along with the labels doesn't come out right. and having to delete them and then do the equalize is a lot more work then if someone wanted to just add them to the column one items.

i also changed the BoxedGroup to add a single item or multiple items. so that way dynamically changing them becomes easy. as well as added a remove that will remove an item that was previously added

i have started collecting these kinds up upgrades and i am going to combine them into a release of a plugin that contains this scroll lock plugin as well as all the other mods i have come up with i just want to get enough of them together to make it a nice addon package. so if someone has any ideas or suggestions let me know.

skribb
Experienced User

Post by skribb » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:32 am

Sounds interesting, maybe you could be a contributing developer? :D instead of just plugins
Automation is life.

Win7 64bit

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:37 pm

i am still very new at this and i do not believe my code is proficient enough yet. i have only really been programming for a little over a year.

i am getting better very quickly. i have compiling eventghost down. and it's nice to be able to run a newer version of python and be able to add some cool libraries that i use for personal use.

i have a really cool project i am working on now. and it's a whole gui interface for home automation control of just about anything. it's just the gui so calls would have to be made to it and pass it the information. but it's a cool frontend for either a computer monitor or even a TV (has a good 10 foot interface)

skribb
Experienced User

Post by skribb » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:59 pm

kgschlosser wrote:i am still very new at this and i do not believe my code is proficient enough yet. i have only really been programming for a little over a year.

i am getting better very quickly. i have compiling eventghost down. and it's nice to be able to run a newer version of python and be able to add some cool libraries that i use for personal use.

i have a really cool project i am working on now. and it's a whole gui interface for home automation control of just about anything. it's just the gui so calls would have to be made to it and pass it the information. but it's a cool frontend for either a computer monitor or even a TV (has a good 10 foot interface)
Well yeah sounds like you're a really quick learner :)

My personal GUI is just a set of Tasker scenes on my android tablets. Works, but could probably be a lot cooler.

I did coding (VBnet, C++, Java) about 10 years ago but have forgotten pretty much all of it.
Automation is life.

Win7 64bit

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:03 am

bet ya havent forgotten. it comes back right quick. do some brush up stuff. but coding is coding ya just have to get the syntax down and the vocab for the language but i started with c/c++ and python is a breeze to pick up you just have to use the google and search for the names of the different functions available. but it's really not hard. python is more of a use on top of an OS language it's very dependent on that i guess it's an application language and c and c++ is more so at a hardware level. and not as friendly for coding apps in my opinion..

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:38 am

Plugin Updated

skribb
Experienced User

Post by skribb » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:07 pm

There's no link :shock: