Weather Underground Plugin

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.
loveleejohn
Experienced User

Re: Weather Underground Plugin

Post by loveleejohn » Thu May 04, 2017 8:23 pm

Hi again kg. I think I basically understand how you stored the resulting data when the current weather macro is pulled and I think I even understand why you use ".temp" what I am still unclear on is where RC2 is. Does RC2 refer to a Release Candidate 2? Is it a stable version? I've avoided using the beta versions since I am far from being well versed in coding so if the red errors are an unavoidable side effect of the older version of the speech plugin I can probably find a way to manage with it.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu May 04, 2017 10:00 pm

we haven't had anyone report any bugs with the release of RC2. well none that has turned out to be a bug in the core code. there have been reports but nothing that is due to the core code.

It is very stable..

One of the things you have to remember is EG is portable. so this is what you do.

make a folder on your desktop called EG Backup
in that folder make 2 folders one called AppData and the other Program Data
open Windows Explorer (File Manager)
navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)
locate the EventGhost folder right click it and click Copy.

then go to the EG Backup folder right click and paste.
now back to Windows Explorer. in the address bar at the top type in %appdata% and press enter
locate the EventGhost folder repeat steps above except past this in the folder call AppData
now back to Windows Explorer and in the address bar type in %programdata% press enter..

I bet you get where i am going with this one.. So finish it up..

Now i do not know where you save your configuration tree to. but locate that as well and copy it into your EG Backup folder.. once you have done that EG is 100% backed up. so if by chance you have an issue then uninstall RC2 reinstall 0.4 then copy all of you data back into place,

If that puts your mind more at ease then that is what you should do.

There have been a lot of Upgrades, Bugfixes and Improvements. But i am pretty confident the next release is going to be a full release and it's going to happen pretty soon. so if you want to wait another week or 2 then do that.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu May 04, 2017 10:01 pm

and any new things that are going on can be seen here

viewforum.php?f=12

loveleejohn
Experienced User

Post by loveleejohn » Thu May 04, 2017 11:04 pm

Thanks for the breakdown kg. I've downloaded RC2 and will try it out when I get a chance. I also had no idea that eventghost was able to be made portable! That could come in very handy so thanks for the step by step! On a side note, I've also disabled ad-block plus to support eventghost. I completely overlooked it until I glanced at a post in the news area of the forum that you linked to. I wonder how many users might also have forgotten to disable adblock plus when visiting this site. Maybe you might want to make a sticky reminder for newbies?

loveleejohn
Experienced User

Post by loveleejohn » Thu May 04, 2017 11:43 pm

Guess what kg! No more bloodbath when I run the script in the new version and I think I have gained a much better understanding of how the data analysis mechanisms work for the portion of this plugin that I was most interested in besides. Thanks so much for your help on this. It seems like it's working well now.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri May 05, 2017 12:56 am

if you want to use EG in portable mode then you will have to point EG to the AppData directory in your Backup folder. there is no way to point it to the ProgramData tho the only thing that gets stored in there are plugins.

but to use it in portable mode you will have to run it from a command line like so

Code: Select all

eventghost -configdir "your AppData\EventGhost folder"
this way it will load the config information from your one that was backed up

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri May 05, 2017 12:57 am

as i said. don't give up. I know it's frustrating but believ you me it makes it all the more sweeter when everything finally works.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri May 05, 2017 1:01 am

loveleejohn wrote:On a side note, I've also disabled ad-block plus to support eventghost. I completely overlooked it until I glanced at a post in the news area of the forum that you linked to. I wonder how many users might also have forgotten to disable adblock plus when visiting this site. Maybe you might want to make a sticky reminder for newbies?

ditch adblock plus it sucks. LOL

if you are using Firefox (god i hope you are) then download uBlock Origin it seems to do a much better job.. then on occasion run a piece of software called malwarebytes this will pretty much eliminate any internet crap that could happen your way. i would say about 99.5% of it.

and the last 0.5 malwarebytes takes care of

loveleejohn
Experienced User

Post by loveleejohn » Fri May 05, 2017 1:14 am

kgschlosser wrote:as i said. don't give up. I know it's frustrating but believ you me it makes it all the more sweeter when everything finally works.
This is absolutely true! I hope this thread might be encouraging to some new comers in the future. Thanks so much for the help and the tips on ublock origin. I had it and deleted it for some reason. I'll give it a second try cause adblock plus has become rather useless and I have been on firefox for about 15 or so years if not more. Lol.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri May 05, 2017 3:23 am

All browsers have issues. It's just seems that the only issue Firefox has really isn't even a Firefox issue. Adobe Flash crashes and take Firefox with it. And that doesn't happen all that often. You can tell when a website is giving Flash a problem. And if you close the site fast enough Flash will recover.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri May 05, 2017 3:28 am

There is a trick to getting uBlock Origin set up properly as soon as I get home I will look at my docs on it. Make sure it is uBlock Origin you download there are quite a few copycats out there. uBlock is not the friendliest to set up that's for sure. But it is the fastest. Remember that when you load a webpage if that webpage has an external link it gets checked against the database. So if you load Yahoo for instance it will load faster then adblock but slower then without any protection

loveleejohn
Experienced User

Post by loveleejohn » Fri May 05, 2017 1:36 pm

Funny thing is I still had uBlock Origin installed but for some crazy reason I had disabled it. I think I was using adblocks element hiding tools for a website macro at the time. I've re-enabled uBlock now and things do seem a bit faster even though it might all just be in our heads. lol. One way or another I really hate the move that adblock took in allowing some ads through but I guess the money must have been good... smh...
And on the subject of flash... Don't... just don't start the fire.... :lol: It's like a disease in my opinion. Maybe the fault is on the poorly coded sites that have it but geez it sure is a pain when it makes the browser crash.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat May 06, 2017 2:49 am

no it really is faster. I have checked it.. and it is quite a bit faster as well.

I PM'd you my uBlock config

george tirebuyer
Experienced User

Post by george tirebuyer » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:53 pm

Looks like there are no more free API codes from weather Underground. Open weather Map doesn't work with RC.5. Is there anyway to get a current temperature on demand?

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:00 pm

no kidding. no more API keys?? what a lame ass thing to do. they are going to lose 2/3 of the people that visit that site by doing that.

you can get the temp from any website that displays it simply by scraping the HTML code.