The Holy Bible

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.

The Holy Bible

Postby allalone747 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:06 pm

Hello good day, I been reading on the forum, the great work that been done and shared with everybody, I personally been help with a project I was doing some time ago and I do appreciated and oblige.
I am not a programmer or coding, but if I get an example I can follow instructions, I am in my 60’s so learning could be bit beyond me in some ways.
I was wandering if there could be a script or plugin for the Holy Bible, where I could say a voice command
Example
Genesis chapter 1 verse 6 and
Genesis chapter 1 verse 6 to 15
Will this needed to be a python script I think everyone would like such a script, will this be impossible to complete, can this be taken from html versions of the Bible on the web? Or Maybe a version that has clickable links for an index
Thank you
Cheers :|
allalone747
Experienced User

Re: The Holy Bible

Postby kgschlosser » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:37 am

exactly what are you wanting it to do when you say the command??? read it to you?, or just bring up the text?

and yes this can be done pretty simply depending on what you want it to do, there are already plugins made for the voice control aspect portion of it.

and there are plugins made to bring up a webpage for instance. or even if you have the bible in a text file. it could be set to bring that up. or to read it.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby allalone747 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:51 am

Hello
I would like it to read it to me , when I say genesis chapter 1 verse 7 to 15 it would read verse 7 to 15 , or if was chapter 1 verse 2 it would read out just the one verse
Please say which plugins you are referring to ,and will this require a python script , your instruction will be most welcome thanks
allalone747
Experienced User

Postby kgschlosser » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:53 pm

allalone747 wrote:Hello
I would like it to read it to me , when I say genesis chapter 1 verse 7 to 15 it would read verse 7 to 15 , or if was chapter 1 verse 2 it would read out just the one verse
Please say which plugins you are referring to ,and will this require a python script , your instruction will be most welcome thanks

it will probably require a small index of sorts to line numbers for the chapters. I have not done this as of yet. but if you could provide me with a text file of the documents you would like to have read. it can either be separate files one for each chapter. all compressed into a zip file. Or all in one file.

I think most of this is going to be tree items. that way it would be easier for you to manage. I will set up a couple of the chapters and test them and then provide you with an example of the tree that way you can do the rest of the chapters. and you learn that way :-D

so if you wanted to do this with something else or maybe change the file(s) to a different version you know how to do it.

and BTW, you are never to old to learn the day you don't is the day they put you into the ground. It may take a little longer but the feeling of overcoming the challenge makes it well worth the effort. I have the time if you have the ambition.

NOTE:
if at any time I am talking about things you do not know about. stop me and ask for further definition or instruction. I was once where you were, and it was alot more difficult then because the resources weren't as accessible. I will gladly share what I know.

I will provide things like screen sots as well. this would give me the opportunity to put together a tutorial or a how-to as an example.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby allalone747 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:27 am

kgschlosser wrote:
allalone747 wrote:Hello

it will probably require a small index of sorts to line numbers for the chapters. I have not done this as of yet. but if you could provide me with a text file of the documents you would like to have read. it can either be separate files one for each chapter. all compressed into a zip file. Or all in one file.

I think most of this is going to be tree items. that way it would be easier for you to manage. I will set up a couple of the chapters and test them and then provide you with an example of the tree that way you can do the rest of the chapters. and you learn that way :-D

so if you wanted to do this with something else or maybe change the file(s) to a different version you know how to do it.

and BTW, you are never to old to learn the day you don't is the day they put you into the ground. It may take a little longer but the feeling of overcoming the challenge makes it well worth the effort. I have the time if you have the ambition.

NOTE:
if at any time I am talking about things you do not know about. stop me and ask for further definition or instruction. I was once where you were, and it was alot more difficult then because the resources weren't as accessible. I will gladly share what I know.

I will provide things like screen sots as well. this would give me the opportunity to put together a tutorial or a how-to as an example.

Thank you very much and yes I have the ambition to learn ,if I get the instructions and an example ,I will take your guidance.when this tree items are created with all the books of the Bible ,thousand of words won't this take ages to load up ,or will there be a way round the time span , thanks
allalone747
Experienced User

Postby eirik226 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:49 pm

I understand what you are trying to do - but I think this will be a very big project for you to do. I guess you have a few options, create everything yourself (Not possible i'd say) or use some sort of finished python script and use that in EG.

And I can almost guarantee that something like this already exist if you search for it (Not sure if it's paid or free tho')

So maybe it's easier to not try and do this with eventghost and use a already finished product.
eirik226
Experienced User

Postby allalone747 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:46 pm

Hello
As you say this will be a big project, i think it would be a good thing to have in EventGhost once i get a start as i mention before i will complete with some guidance and then upload it in the Tutorial,This should be a positive project,which would men't a lot to many people,
Cheers
allalone747
Experienced User

Postby kgschlosser » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:02 am

allalone747 wrote:Thank you very much and yes I have the ambition to learn ,if I get the instructions and an example ,I will take your guidance.when this tree items are created with all the books of the Bible ,thousand of words won't this take ages to load up ,or will there be a way round the time span , thanks

Great that you have the ambition.

well we have to make an index. this can be done automatically upon first load.

so it will read the whole file once.

the index will look something like this. I am going to post this in easy to read then in python code

Code: Select all
Book:
    Line Number: 50
    Chapter:
        Line Number: 52
        Verse:
            Line Number: 53

so we know the bible is written in a way that makes it easy to find specific passages
so if we "teach" python to read this index and when it finds specific identifiers to record the line number of that identifier to a file

and the file would look like this

{
    "Matthew": {
        "line_no": 50,
        "6": {
            "line_no": 60,
            "9": {
                 "line_no": 70
            },
            "10": {
                 "line_no": 71
            },
            "11": {
                 "line_no": 72
            },
            "12": {
                 "line_no": 73
            },
            "13": {
                 "line_no": 74
            }
        },
        "Luke": {
            AND SO ON AND SO FORTH
        }
    }
}

so when you tell it to find
"Book" Matthew
"Chapter" 6
"Verse" 9 through 13

it will look in it's index and queue up the first command which is Matthew
so it will bring up the index for Matthew. And if that was the only command then it would grab the line_no and bingo it goes from there.
but if it's not the only command then it will look for the next command under Matthew.... and so on and so forth

the nice thing about doing it this way would be that you can change the version of the bible you are using and it should still function as long as you delete the index file to the old one. that way it would have to recreate it.
Most bibles pretty much use the same syntax when it comes to the formatting.

now you could do this all manually if you like. writing down the line number for each and every passage. and making a macro and action for each one as well and then speaking the phrase for each one and putting the event in the macro.
but I am thinking you still want to be young ;) by time you finish. so we are going to have to key this out in code.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby kgschlosser » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:05 am

and here is n example of a bible i downloaded as a text file.

Genesis 7:8   Of clean beasts, and of beasts that are not clean, and of fowls, and of every thing that creepeth upon the earth,
Genesis 7:9   There went in two and two unto Noah into the ark, the male and the female, as God had commanded Noah.
Genesis 7:10   And it came to pass after seven days, that the waters of the flood were upon the earth.
Genesis 7:11   In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened.
Genesis 7:12   And the rain was upon the earth forty days and forty nights.
Genesis 7:13   In the selfsame day entered Noah, and Shem, and Ham, and Japheth, the sons of Noah, and Noah's wife, and the three wives of his sons with them, into the ark;
Genesis 7:14   They, and every beast after his kind, and all the cattle after their kind, and every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind, and every fowl after his kind, every bird of every sort.
Genesis 7:15   And they went in unto Noah into the ark, two and two of all flesh, wherein is the breath of life.

I would imagine that most "flavors" of the bible if downloaded as a text file would be similar to this.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby kgschlosser » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:10 am

now I could also just have it parse the whole file in one shot. and turn the whole thing into a json file but i think that it would take a hell of a long time to load the whole file. and chew up some memory in the process. and i am thinking that because of how python works it would be best to actually use the starting character number and ending character number instead. that way it can open the file. move to that position. read the text until the end position and then close the file

I would have to run some tests to see how it is performance wise.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby kgschlosser » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:04 am

OK so i have a result.

it only takes about a 1/2 a second for the file to be parsed.

I have already coded the ability to read the file and reorganize it into something easier to pull up the verse to read. I am going to make a really simple UI that will allow you to select the book, chapter and verse and it will display the text from there. this is just a starting point. and if you can confirm that the data appears to be correct then we can go from there

Since it is able to read the file so quickly and reformat the data there is no need to make an index of it. it will read it format the data each time EG loads.But for now it will read the data each and every time you run the UI

give me a day or so to get the UI done and i will post a link to where to get the bible file I am using. and instructions on how to load it.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby allalone747 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:04 am

Hello
Thank for your interest and good work on this project ,when you finish I think that you should publish it as a new project in the tutorial ,so others can learn from your input
It should be a wanderful out come
Thank great
allalone747
Experienced User

Postby kgschlosser » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:49 pm

I am going to need an extra day, had a tire blow out on the wife's car which managed to monopolize almost my whole day.

i may get an urge to do it up this evening but we will see.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby allalone747 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:47 pm

Hello there everyone any more input on this project
Cheers
allalone747
Experienced User

Postby kgschlosser » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:20 am

I am in the process of working on it. I am going to look into using the Talking Diary possibly as a backend. I have to check it out and see if it will work. or at the very least point me in the direction of how to set up the text to speech.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Next

Return to Plugin Support