Skype Plugin

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.
OrbitalDan

Skype Plugin

Post by OrbitalDan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:46 am

Hi everyone! I've created a very basic plugin for Skype that uses the COM API (Skype4COM) to provide events for call lifecycles. I had set up a webcam to use my HTPC/TV combo to make Skype calls from the living room, and needed a way to detect incoming calls that the standard window-detection tools just couldn't provide. The rest of the Skype client UI can be manipulated with hotkeys and keystrokes. You can download the plugin on GitHub.

This is my first plugin, and it's very simplistic, but it might help someone else too, so I thought I'd share.

jachin99
Experienced User

Re: Skype Plugin

Post by jachin99 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:11 am

This looks like it could be really useful, thanks

george tirebuyer

Post by george tirebuyer » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:17 pm

This worked great until the last skype update. I no longer get an event when skype call come in.

OrbitalDan

Post by OrbitalDan » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:26 am

Okay, it looks like they're slowly breaking the COM API that allowed this to work, and according to this response on their forums, Microsoft has no plans to ever make a replacement available. I was afraid of this: Microsoft doesn't intend to allow you to integrate with Skype. It looks like your options probably boil down to downgrade or cry. :(

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:35 pm

What about some kind of google equivalent? Just an idea. If your interested look into messenger geeks. There is a whole group of people who are independently supporting windows live messenger, and maybe you could do something with that. I think they change registry keys and point messenger at a server they have setup. This doesn't sound too safe but It might be worth a look

george tirebuyer

Post by george tirebuyer » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:29 pm

I was afraid of that. Another M$ disimprovement.

OrbitalDan

Post by OrbitalDan » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:02 am

I'm investigating their new cloud dev platform for Skype, but it seems pretty heavily based around cloud-ish things that integrate on the back-end (bots), so we'll have to see if there's any way to get anything comparable. I'm probably not going to take on building for a different video-chat program, because Skype is something I use personally and already have contacts set up with other people. Getting them to switch would be difficult to say the least.

george tirebuyer

Post by george tirebuyer » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:31 am

I think they did another update and it fixed what was broken on the last one. Now the plugin seems to work at least for me.