J. River Media Center Command Sender

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.

Postby kgschlosser » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:35 am

Version: 0.1b

This is a very basic plugin. all it does is sends commands into J. River Media Center (JRMC)
This plugin is a work in progress so some of the commands may not function at this point in time. All of the JRMC command base that is available are in this plugin.

This plugin is not like other JRMC plugins in that it sends the commands directly to the program instead of using keyboard emulation, which can be problematic due to window focus.
There is zone support as well.

Some of the commands have /require additional parameters. these parameters I have not documented so you will have to play around with it. If there is a required parameter and you have not configured the action you will be informed of a problem.

This plugin will only use the highest version of JRMC that you have installed. So if you have more then one copy.. for the time being it will only work with the newest one.

There are going to be problems with this plugin as it is new. If you encounter an issue please edit the plugin's __init__.py file and near the top you will see DEBUG = False. change the False to True. and turn on debugging inside of EG as well. then replicate the issue and paste the log output in a post.

to install simply double click the file.
Attachments
JRiverCommands-0.1b.egplugin
(18.69 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: J. River Media Center Command Sender

Postby jachin99 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:16 pm

Just to caveat off of the multiple versions of JRMC, unless someone is testing a new version there aren't really any good to have an old and new versions of JRiver. Even then unless there is a weird bug someone can't live with in a new version, they would just upgrade the other machines so I don't see that being worth your time to support. Did you type this whole thing up, or did they have a file with the commands already available?
jachin99
Experienced User

Postby kgschlosser » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:55 pm

jachin99 wrote:Just to caveat off of the multiple versions of JRMC, unless someone is testing a new version there aren't really any good to have an old and new versions of JRiver. Even then unless there is a weird bug someone can't live with in a new version, they would just upgrade the other machines so I don't see that being worth your time to support. Did you type this whole thing up, or did they have a file with the commands already available?

as far as the version support goes. It is far simpler to iterate the registry then to key out specific reg keys for the different versions. so adding support for multiple versions is not that difficult to do because i have to iterate the registry anyways to get the version data. so to simply add a drop down to the plugin config so the user can select which one they want to use is a snap.

They had the information on their website. so I had to write code to parse the web page. that got me the constants. then I had to write another script to parse the page again to grab the value daya and to change them. then i had to write another script to combine the information from the first 2 scripts. then manually go through them and correct any typos. I also added to the constants for basic things like on and on. or things with a limited number of values.

I probably had to key out 500 lines of code to get the data and format it. then i had to go through all of the data and correct the little oddities and change things up a bit to make it easier to handle.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby jachin99 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:05 pm

I tested it on JRMC V 23.36 and EG .5.0 RC 4 and it works great but you need to make sure you tell each command which zone you want to execute it. I can see this getting pretty confusing for some because I'm pretty sure you name your zones in JRMC whereas EG displays a zone number.
jachin99
Experienced User

Postby kgschlosser » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:33 pm

the API only allows for sending a digit not a name.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby jachin99 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:46 pm

There was a plugin out there that broadcasted JRMC events also. How hard would it be to roll that plugin into this one, or vice versa?
jachin99
Experienced User

Postby kgschlosser » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:03 am

the other plugin only gave you events for play stop things like that.. JMRC supports a whole lot of events. and I did plan on adding that. In the future. I am pretty sure there is a way to leverage JRMC so we can get things like playlist names and zone names. This is all going to be added in the future. I wanted to get a proper command set working without the need to use keyboard emulation.

And the plugin you are talking about has quite a bit of voodoo code in it. it is going to be easier to start from scratch then to try and figure out what the other developer did to bring the 2 together.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Return to Plugin Support