Help With Broadcaster

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.

Help With Broadcaster

Postby enobhsiw » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:44 am

Hi,

I am very new to EG. Im trying to launch Kodi on my 'Always On' Windows 10 Enterprise x64 laptop, using the 'Wake on LAN' feature on Official Kodi Remote on my Iphone.
I tried using Broadcaster and XBMC Event Receiver aswell, and configured the UDP port to 9, but I recieve the following error:
Code: Select all
error: uncaptured python exception, closing channel <eg.CorePluginModule.XBMCEventReceiver.Server connected :9 at 0x4a1ccb0> (<type 'exceptions.UnicodeDecodeError'>:'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xff in position 0: unexpected code byte [asyncore.pyc|read|76] [asyncore.pyc|handle_read_event|414] [C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\plugins\XBMCEventReceiver\__init__.py|handle_read|110] [encodings\utf_8.pyc|decode|16])

Please help, and guide me on what I could do to achieve what I am trying to do.

Thanks in advance.
enobhsiw

Re: Help With Broadcaster

Postby kgschlosser » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:07 pm

the problem you are having is with XBMC Event Receiver and not the broadcaster. and a WOL packet is something that is handled at the hardware level and not at the software level. I would put a support ticket in the official XBMC Support thread located here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1562
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby enobhsiw » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:30 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.
Will redirect my post.
enobhsiw

Postby jonib » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:44 am

kgschlosser wrote:the problem you are having is with XBMC Event Receiver and not the broadcaster. and a WOL packet is something that is handled at the hardware level and not at the software level. I would put a support ticket in the official XBMC Support thread located here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1562
The support (or not) for the "XBMC Event Receiver" plugin is here and not in the XBMC2 support thread.

The XBMC Event Receiver plugin should not really be included in EventGhost as it was never finished and there has not been any support for it in seven years (last time the author was logged in), and my XBMC2 plugin supports everything it does much better. and the functionality was removed from Kodi a long time ago.

jonib
XBMC2 plugin to control XBMC. If you want to flatter me Image
jonib
Plugin Developer

Postby kgschlosser » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:56 am

I did not realize that there were 2 different plugins. TY jonib for enlightening me. I do appologize for sending someone to your plugin support incorrectly. but maybe it was a good thing i sent the person to the wrong place. now they get a better plugin that will work and i get an education. :D
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: Support for XBMC2 plugin (formerly XBMCRepeat)

Postby enobhsiw » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:24 pm

I had a couple of friends as me how to launch Kodi from a system that was already running. So after spending some time on google, i found out that there was a way to do so by using an app on the Android called Yatse. The Yatse website also suggested downloading a program onto the PC which had Kodi installed, and by hitting the Wake on LAN button on the app, Kodi would launch on the PC. So using the app on android, i was able to not only wake the pc out of sleep/hibernate mode, but was also able to get Kodi to launch.
However, such a program was not available for the iphone. So i did alot of searching and I was eventually led to EG.
After reading up on a few posts, I found out that the addons Broadcaster and XMBC Event Receiver were able to listen to UDP broadcasts. Since the WoL sent the magic packet on UDP port 9, i thought if I could get the addon to further trigger Kodi to launch, then I would be able to go from there. But all I ran into was an error, once the packet was received by both Broadcaster and XMBC Event Receiver.
I am aware that there is no "Wake on LAN" specific functionality in the XBMC2 plugin, so I was hoping that someone could help me with what I was trying to do, or atleast point me in the right direction.

Thank you for your time :)
enobhsiw

Re: Support for XBMC2 plugin (formerly XBMCRepeat)

Postby jonib » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:27 pm

enobhsiw wrote:Thank you for your time :)
I moved your post here as it's not Kodi specific so other people can help.

So you are trying to start Kodi on a running system when sending the "WakeOnLan" magic packet from another device (your iPhone).

The Broadcaster plugin might be able to create an event from the WakeOnLan packet, but I don't know as I have not used this plugin, maybe someone else knows.

I don't see how the XBMC event receiver plugin is used as it is only designed to receive events from (Old) XBMC, and thats why you get that error as it is expecting a text message but is getting binary data from the WakeOnLan magic packet.

I guess if there is no other plugin a "WakeOnLan magic packet" event creating plugin could be made easily.

jonib
XBMC2 plugin to control XBMC. If you want to flatter me Image
jonib
Plugin Developer

Postby kgschlosser » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:23 am

OK if you can recieve the data in eventghost but are getting an error. then I can get the data to print out and we can possibly go from there to get something up and running for you.

I am going to need you to do a couple of things. I am going to send you a modified version of the Broadcaster plugin this modification is going to remove any of it's typical event triggering. it is going to print out any data that gets sent to it on the port you specify. You will have to copy and paste the information that it spits out to a forum post. but you have to make sure that you use the [ code ] before the pasted information and [ /code ] after it. (remove the spaces). this will allow the information to be pasted properly without causing any formatting and conversion issues.

Give me a couple of minutes to modify the plugin to do this.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby kgschlosser » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:51 am

OK here is a modified version of the Broadcaster plugin (basically the same thing as the XBMC Event Broadcast plugin)

You will simply have to download the attached fiel and then double click on it. then add the plugin the name of the plugin is "Modified Broadcaster Plugin for XBMC WOL" this is what will be displayed in the add plugin dialog.
Set the IP address and the listening port and send the WOL packet. this should print out the data that is received. and then from there we can do something about generating events from it. Now I am not sure what other things get sent to that same connection from that application. but if you want to click away on the buttons and copy those as well then we might be able to put together something for you as far as a full featured plugin that will do a hand off to jonib's XBMC plugin to do the actual dirty work.

I am sorry about sending you on a wild goose chase like that. my brain must have had some bad wiring that day. But we can get ya sorted out and I believe since you are able to receive the XBMC WOL packet then we can get something going for ya. we just have to know what we need to look for.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby enobhsiw » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:47 pm

Sorry for the delay in replying.
Thank you both kgschlosser and jonib for donating your valuable time for this :)
The error being thrown up from XBMC Event Receiver is actually similar to Broadcaster as, I believe former is built around Broadcaster( after doing some digging).

This is the error for XBMC Event Receiver
error: uncaptured python exception, closing channel <eg.CorePluginModule.XBMCEventReceiver.Server connected :9 at 0x4981a30> (<type 'exceptions.UnicodeDecodeError'>:'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xff in position 0: unexpected code byte [asyncore.pyc|read|76] [asyncore.pyc|handle_read_event|414] [C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\plugins\XBMCEventReceiver\__init__.py|handle_read|110] [encodings\utf_8.pyc|decode|16])

And this is the error for Broadcaster
error: uncaptured python exception, closing channel <eg.CorePluginModule.Broadcaster.Server connected 192.168.0.163:9 at 0x4a771e8> (<type 'exceptions.UnicodeDecodeError'>:'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xff in position 0: ordinal not in range(128) [asyncore.pyc|read|76] [asyncore.pyc|handle_read_event|414] [C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\plugins\Broadcaster\__init__.py|handle_read|95] [C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Classes\PluginBase.py|TriggerEvent|133] [C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Classes\EventThread.py|TriggerEvent|78] [C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Classes\EventGhostEvent.py|__init__|84])

Will get that info for you kgschlosser asap.
enobhsiw

Postby enobhsiw » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:56 pm

Here you go kgschlosser. This is the data that i received from the plugin:

DATA: '0xff0xff0xff0xff0xff0xff0x340xe60xad0xe0x430x130x340xe60xad0xe0x430x130x340xe60xad0xe0x430x130x340xe60xad0xe0x430x130x340xe60xad0xe0x430x130x340xe60xad0xe0x430x130x340xe60xad0xe0x430x130x340xe60xad0xe0x430x130x340xe60xad0xe0x430x130x340xe60xad0xe0x430x130x340xe60xad0xe0x430x130x340xe60xad0xe0x430x130x340xe60xad0xe0x430x130x340xe60xad0xe0x430x130x340xe60xad0xe0x430x130x340xe60xad0xe0x430x13'

No probs about the wild goose chase. It was thanks to it that I managed to pick up alot of good information along the way :)
enobhsiw

Postby kgschlosser » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:50 pm

ok give this a try and see if you get an event

you will need to uninstall the version you have installed and then double click on this one.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Postby enobhsiw » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:34 pm

how do i uninstall the plugin? just delete its folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\plugins ?
enobhsiw

Postby enobhsiw » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:54 pm

Ok i did a fresh installation of EG and installed the plugin. I hit the WoL, but no reaction. No error, but nothing else either.
enobhsiw

Postby kgschlosser » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:52 am

try this one and let me know. it is going to print out a couple of things send all of them to me please
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Next

Return to Plugin Support