Nest Thermostat plug-in

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.
Dragon470
Experienced User

Re: Nest Thermostat plug-in

Post by Dragon470 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:52 pm

The plugin does still work and is running on my machines right now. The only configurations you need are:
1. Setup the nest thermostat with nest.com. (setup account)
2. Load eventghost and plugin (available in first post).

Phil
Experienced User

Post by Phil » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:41 pm

I know this is an ancient thread, but the plugin seems to still (mostly) work.
I could do with being able to switch into eco mode rather than just heat/off. Is there anyway to do this or is it simple to add this in?

As far as I know its a fairly new mode?
Last edited by Phil on Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dragon470
Experienced User

Post by Dragon470 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:02 pm

I had the message on my thermostat with the newest firmware update. I have not even looked in to the eco mode. I am really busy with my job, but will be looking in to the changes that have gone unattended for some time. I really think I can now push a new update as it has been quite some time since I was given a warning from Nest inc.

krambriw
Plugin Developer

Post by krambriw » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:42 am

I was given a warning from Nest inc
Recap? What was this about? I don't remember...

Dragon470
Experienced User

Post by Dragon470 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:23 pm

I was given an email from them to stop production of the plugin since it was violating there new terms of not collecting and keeping any type of information. In other words they only want me to query their server, do whatever and then delete the variable and keep no record of it. I am not even supposed to keep the status of the heater or AC. But yet they complained very early in my development that I had queried the server more than once every 5 seconds. In my eyes they can't have it both ways. All I can say is lesson learned to not give out my contact info out to some companies. I still use and like the product.

krambriw
Plugin Developer

Post by krambriw » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:08 pm

Right, I remember now, thanks

Since then, if the ambition is to be part of the IoT world, those type of requirements are just ridiculous. Unless you have a hidden agenda where the ambition is to be the one and only in IoT...

Phil
Experienced User

Post by Phil » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:44 pm

I would hate for you to go to prison because of this... but... :lol:

We have just put the nest in a 150 year old church and some of its abilities are lacking at best. The building is often below 9 degrees which is the minimum the schedule allows. The heating shouldnt come on unless it reaches the frost protection level of 4 degrees as it costs a fortune to heat.

What im trying to achieve is this, which is nearly possible..
Read in that days schedule from the nest -this seems to be broken as it always returns the same values :evil: , would also be useful to have the option to specify 'today' or 'tomorrow' rather than having to have a script for every day of the week,
Take an hour off the earliest start time and set a schedule to turn the device on and home at that time
Add an hour to the off the final scheduled time and turn the device off and away at that time

There will also be some messing to allow for services which run past midnight. I'll also need to figure how the programming section of SchedulGhost works to allow the addition and removal of schedules on a daily basis.

Setting to on and off seems to work perfectly, getting the schedule is no so good at the moment. I dont need to store any data, i use a pi to get room temperatures (so not breaking any of nests rules, honest!)

Any help would be very much appreciated!

krambriw
Plugin Developer

Post by krambriw » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:32 pm

Since you have it in a pi already, please look at Node-Red. There are powerul schedulers available (search for BigTimer).
In particular this link might be helpful
http://flows.nodered.org/node/node-red-contrib-nest

Dragon470
Experienced User

Post by Dragon470 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:49 pm

I did have a little time to play with the eco mode. I can get it in and out of eco mode. I still need more time to change over the away temps both high and low to the newer eco data format. I also have other code sections to look at before uploading. I will get this out hopefully just after this weekend.

Dragon470
Experienced User

Post by Dragon470 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:45 pm

I choose to upload the eco mode action as a separate action away from the normal heat, cool,range modes. This do to the completely different way they are implemented. I also looked over my data retrieved from my nest thermostat and it shows nothing like what the developer site shows. This has stopped me from implementing how to change the eco mode high and low temps.

I will check back on my nest from time to time to see if the data structure has changed to what they show. I just hope this is not hardware version issue as that would then become futile for me to do plugin updates with different data structures to follow. My current version is 5.6-7

Phil
Experienced User

Post by Phil » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:31 pm

Hi
Thanks for looking at this.
The nest im connecting to also has software 5.6-7 which was the one released a couple of weeks ago.

Out of interest, is the option to read the schedule working for you? When I try it reads in the first one, then for any other days it just sends the same output. I've found a workaround for the eco bit but could do with being able to read a proper schedule from the device.

thanks

Phil

Dragon470
Experienced User

Post by Dragon470 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:14 pm

The schedule data structure has changed again. I can look at it some time. I know I will be able to read it, but setting it might be difficult.

Phil
Experienced User

Post by Phil » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:47 pm

For me, just reading it would allow me the control im after. Other people do the writing via the nest website and I dont want to be changing that process for now at least.

I recon this plugin has already saved us a fair few pounds as the building has dropped below 9 degrees a few times this year already, so a big thanks just for that!

Dragon470
Experienced User

Post by Dragon470 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:57 pm

I just updated the plugin. I must have never really checked and or finished the get schedule information action. Most likely I had to roll back to previous version and forgot about that change. Either way it is fixed now. Could you leave feed back that the day are correct for you schedule. Mine was off by one day in the original code.

Phil
Experienced User

Post by Phil » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:27 am

That's excellent, thanks.
It seems to be reading the days on the right day as well.

This should let me turn the heating back on just as its needed rather than just at some point in the morning.