[SOLVED]Why don't my/Appveyor builds of EventGhost work corr

Do you have questions about writing plugins or scripts in Python? Meet the coders here.
pearbear
Experienced User

[SOLVED]Why don't my/Appveyor builds of EventGhost work corr

Post by pearbear » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:47 pm

After doing my own build of the official source(following the official instructions) or installing one of the AppVeyor test builds of EventGhost when I run EventGhost I get the following traceback:

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last) (WIP-2017.01.03-18.17.05):
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Classes\ActionThread.py", line 79, in StartSession
    pluginInfo = eg.pluginManager.OpenPlugin(guid, None, ())
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Classes\PluginManager.py", line 52, in OpenPlugin
    clsInfo = NonexistentPluginInfo(ident, evalName)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Classes\PluginManager.py", line 140, in __init__
    Plugin.__name__ = name
TypeError: can only assign string to Plugin.__name__, not 'NoneType'
With the release versions I see the System actions in the Add Action dialog, that plugin appears to be automatically added to every tree. With my builds or the Appveyor builds the System actions are not shown in the Add Action dialog and the System plugin is shown in red in the Add Plugin dialog. Other than that issue EventGhost seems to be working as expected. This doesn't seem to be related to any specific version of the source. It happens even if I use the build of the commit the release was made at.
Last edited by pearbear on Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: Why don't my/Appveyor builds of EventGhost work correctl

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:26 pm

The link you provided for the "official build instructions" does not point there. not shure where you were supposed to go with it..

But I do know there seems to be an issue with appveyor at the moment. and maybe what you have discovered is the cause of it... I am going to investigate it some more
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

pearbear
Experienced User

Post by pearbear » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:15 pm

kgschlosser wrote:The link you provided for the "official build instructions" does not point there. not shure where you were supposed to go with it..
It's in the section of CONTRIBUTING.md that I linked to:
Setting up a build environment is now easier than ever -- just run python Build.py --make-env from an administrative command prompt -- so there's no excuse for not testing your work.
kgschlosser wrote: But I do know there seems to be an issue with appveyor at the moment. and maybe what you have discovered is the cause of it.
The AppVeyor issue is causing builds to fail completely so there's no build "artifact" at all for recent builds but my tests have been with previous AppVeyor builds when it was still working correctly. This is the build that generated the traceback I posted:
https://ci.appveyor.com/project/blackwi ... /artifacts
And the build at the same commit that 0.5.0-beta5 was released at:
https://ci.appveyor.com/project/blackwi ... /artifacts

Has anyone tried one of those builds? If so, did the System plugin work correctly or did you experience the same issue I did?

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:29 pm

I know where the cause of the problem is...

we are working on it as I type this...

Thank You for pointing this out. It led me to find what the actual error is.
and it could have been you that caused it :shock:

because of the speech plugin and downgrading pywin32 to work right with it. it's a possibility. because there is another lib that the system plugin uses that ises another lib that doesn't exist is causing this error.

and because EG has been made to read an installed python's site packages. and most probably the people that have python installed and have installed all of the dependencies will have this other lib installed. so we never encountered the error.

I actually had to install one of the app veyor builds onto a VM that has no python installed to even produce an error.

then i had to change some of the code around in the system plugin to find the real error.

pearbear
Experienced User

Post by pearbear » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:34 am

kgschlosser wrote:I know where the cause of the problem is...
because of the speech plugin and downgrading pywin32 to work right with it. it's a possibility.
I don't think the downgrade from pywin32 2.20 to 2.19 to fix the issue with the Speech plugin is the cause of my System plugin issue because it still occurs with builds from prior to that time. For example, build 278 was done on 2016-12-24 and as you can see from the log it used pywin32 2.20:
https://ci.appveyor.com/project/blackwi ... ld/278#L85

Collecting pywin32==220 from https://eventghost.github.io/dist/dependencies/pywin32-220-cp27-none-win32.whl
As for the downgrade of pywin32 to 2.19 being the cause of the AppVeyor builds failing now, the successful build 304 used 2.19:
https://ci.appveyor.com/project/blackwi ... ld/304#L96

Installing pypiwin32...
Collecting pypiwin32
  Downloading pypiwin32-219-cp27-none-win32.whl (6.7MB)
Installing collected packages: pypiwin32
Successfully installed pypiwin32-219
topix just migrated the EventGhosts AppVeyor builds to his AppVeyor account and put the configuration file in the repository today. That build was successful so the problem with the AppVeyor builds failing may have already been solved. My issue with the System plugin still occurs with that AppVeyor build.
kgschlosser wrote: I actually had to install one of the app veyor builds onto a VM that has no python installed to even produce an error.
but that was a different error from what I encounter, right. I do have Python installed on the computer that I'm having this problem with. I'll try on my other computer that doesn't have Python to see if there's a difference.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:11 am

I know what the problem is

I just want to confirm that this is the fix

the attached file. I need you to put it into you eventghost\lib27\site-packages folder

this should solve the issue. but i had another show up. i want to make sure this next one isn't specific to my computer.
Attachments
six.py
(29.39 KiB) Downloaded 54 times

pearbear
Experienced User

Post by pearbear » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:33 am

Yes, I just tried the latest AppVeyor build(322) with six.py added and there is no traceback and the System plugin is correctly loaded and the actions are available in the Add Action dialog. Great work, thanks! I think this is a very important thing to make it so anyone can beta test, review pull requests, and verify bugs before reporting them.

I didn't encounter the other problem you reported with 0.5.0-beta5 and the six.py file added. Does that happen with an empty tree and only the stock plugins installed? Let me know if there's any specific test you want me to run to check on that.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:37 am

this would root deeper then an appveyor build. if a release got sent out without this included it would fail.

see the big issue is that because EG now uses any modules form a python installation when some other module gets installed it may have a dependency on six. so it gets installed by default... and after EG gets built and tests gets run. no errors would have occurred. because EG would grab the six module from the python installation. I believe it's sphinx or crypto. I do know one of the other modules do use it so when that module gets installed it automatically installs six. and that is why appveyor passes. is because it downloads the modules required for build causes six to get installed. and because those modules are only needed for the build process and not the actual running of EG it is not an included module in the setup.exe and therefore neither is six.

it's a really goofy problem

but K was on the job and tracked it down!