Remote controls depending on active window/application

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
Shadow128

Remote controls depending on active window/application

Post by Shadow128 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:41 pm

Hi there,

I'm trying to use EventGhost for my HTPC with a PS3 remote control and Kodi/PowerDVD as MediaPlayer.
At the moment it's completely configured for Kodi, so every remote button is pushing to Kodi.
Next step is to use also PowerDVD for some reasons.

So how do I configure Eventghost, that is handle's the remote controls depending on the active window and sends the command only to this program? (during PowerDVD Kodi is in background)

Thanks for your help :-)
Shadow128

jonib
Plugin Developer

Re: Remote controls depending on active window/application

Post by jonib » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:43 pm

Shadow128 wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:41 pm
So how do I configure Eventghost, that is handle's the remote controls depending on the active window and sends the command only to this program? (during PowerDVD Kodi is in background)
There are several plugins that create events when you switch programs/windows, like "Task monitor", "Process watcher" and others.

Search the forum for those plugins and you should find many examples to do the switching. Also I believe the default EventGhost config has an example to control different programs.

jonib
XBMC2 plugin to control XBMC. If you want to flatter me Image

jachin99
Experienced User

Re: Remote controls depending on active window/application

Post by jachin99 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:47 pm

I do this with steam, youtube.tv, and a few others. I haven't had to set too much of this up because usually when a given application launches, my background applications are minimized or closed and they stop receiving keystrokes. With that said, if you want unique remote profiles for each program then you can create folders that have the remote control profiles for powerdvd for example. You should see an event fire when you open powerdvd from kodi, or just on its own, and you use that event to enable an item. The item you are enabling should be the folder with the macros for your program. I have to do this for youtube.tv. Can you configure kodi to minimize when external programs launch? You might also be able to change the keyboard shortcuts in powerdvd so they don't conflict with kodi.