HOLY SHIT WE ARE UP AND RUNNING

Keep up to date with EG related information here.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

HOLY SHIT WE ARE UP AND RUNNING

Post by kgschlosser » Tue May 28, 2019 6:56 pm

OK so this has been a really large pain in the ASS!!!

I am still working on things so if you encounter errors

PLEASE POST THE ENTIRE ERROR IN A POST IN THIS TOPIC

The attachments are gone which really sucks. I do have all of the plugins saved. I will be doing something to get those back up onto the board. I have not yet decided which way i want to go with that.

So for you folks that do not know what is going on.

This is what i have managed to put together from the rumor mill. apparently our old provider was involved in something illegal. At a minimum it was either the owner(s) or maybe some employees of our provider also worked for their upstream provider. and the people were providing discounted equipment and services to out provider. Well this cot found out about. and whamo! they simply shut everything down.

I did make backups only to find out there was either a bug in the backup system... something went wrong. the backups were corrupted. This is the reason why i lost everything. well just about... the web archives helped to get some of the missing binaries from the downloads section so all is good there. I did decide to be rid of the 1990's style website. It is not complete but it's a start. is anyone has any recommendations it sure would help and is appreciated.

I did have a copy of the forum database and the media wiki database. so those things were not lost. I had been working on a plugin repository. so i did manage to collect all of the plugins. The plugins have been converted into .egplugin format and I am not able to simply "drop" them into place. I do not have all of the most recent plugins. I know that I am the one that has released the better part of them in the last year (that is about how long ago i did the download of the plugins.) I will be able to locate the plugins on my local machine and re upload them.

This is a really shitty thing to have happen. But EG will survive and continue to move forward. I know that some of you probably thought EG was gone.. FEAR NOT! I was working on the problem as fast as i could. I was also hoping that I might be able to gain access to the data..

The really horrible part of the whole thing is a day or 2 before this happened I had located a new provider and I was gonna be moving the site in a few days.

The new host we are with is a better host. we had to go with what we could afford at the time so our choices were limited. With the new host I cannot provide any kind of a guarantee that the same shit that happened will not happen again. I wish i had a crystal ball to know that information. But with more $$$ spent I am hoping we will get a less scandalous provider.

I decided to go for the gusto as far as what we have running our website and forum. I frankly got tired of all of the overselling bullshit and lies about "dedicated" this and "dedicated" that. because none of it was actually dedicated anything. upon further investigation of how a typical host provides VPS servers I cam to find out that in fact it is not a hypervisor based system handling the VPS's On a hypervisor based system you cannot over allocate the machine. so if i have 64 cores. I can only allocate 64 vCores. I cannot dink around with throttling disk I/O.

this is what we had before

4 cores virtual at 2.5 ghz (achew bullshit, more like 4 cores at 200mhz)
100mbit uplink.. (achew bullshit, less then 3mbit)
120GB HDD allocation on a stripe (another load of crap. only managed to get about 5mb/sec at best for I/O speed)
and 4GB of ram. I do not know how real this was either.. But never managed to hit any kind of a cap. I am sure the ram was probably all HDD swap as ram is alot more expensive to purchase then a disk.

all of the above was a load of POOP! it started off good then as the months rolled on it got worse and worse. and not to mention the node/site attacks for access were horrendous. I kept on having the provider blacklist IP's that were using brute force to gain root access.

what we have now.

6 core AMD @ 3.5 ghz
8gb ram
120GB ssd
1Gbit uplink

and here are the tested specifications

CPU

Code: Select all

Architecture:        x86_64
CPU op-mode(s):      32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order:          Little Endian
CPU(s):              6
On-line CPU(s) list: 0-5
Thread(s) per core:  2
Core(s) per socket:  3
Socket(s):           1
NUMA node(s):        1
Vendor ID:           AuthenticAMD
CPU family:          21
Model:               2
Model name:          AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor
Stepping:            0
CPU MHz:             1403.995
CPU max MHz:         3500.0000
CPU min MHz:         1400.0000
BogoMIPS:            7030.95
Virtualization:      AMD-V
L1d cache:           16K
L1i cache:           64K
L2 cache:            2048K
L3 cache:            8192K
NUMA node0 CPU(s):   0-5
Flags:               fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc cpuid extd_apicid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq monitor ssse3 fma cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt aes xsave avx f16c lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs xop skinit wdt fma4 tce nodeid_msr tbm topoext perfctr_core perfctr_nb cpb hw_pstate ssbd ibpb vmmcall bmi1 arat npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save tsc_scale vmcb_clean flushbyasid decodeassists pausefilter pfthreshold
RAM

Handle 0x0024, DMI type 17, 27 bytes
Memory Device
        Array Handle: 0x0023
        Error Information Handle: Not Provided
        Total Width: 64 bits
        Data Width: 64 bits
        Size: 4096 MB
        Form Factor: DIMM
        Set: None
        Locator: A0
        Bank Locator: Bank0/1
        Type: Unknown
        Type Detail: None
        Speed: 1333 MT/s
        Manufacturer: None
        Serial Number: None
        Asset Tag: None
        Part Number: None

Handle 0x0025, DMI type 17, 27 bytes
Memory Device
        Size: 4096 MB
        Locator: A1
        Bank Locator: Bank2/3

Handle 0x0026, DMI type 17, 27 bytes
Memory Device
        Size: No Module Installed
        Locator: A2
        Bank Locator: Bank4/5

Handle 0x0027, DMI type 17, 27 bytes
Memory Device
        Size: No Module Installed
        Locator: A3
        Bank Locator: Bank6/7
DISK WRITE

1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB, 1.0 GiB) copied, 0.890635 s, 1.2 GB/s
DISK READ (CACHED)

262144+0 records in
262144+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB, 1.0 GiB) copied, 0.34783 s, 3.1 GB/s
DISK READ (UNCACHED)

262144+0 records in
262144+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB, 1.0 GiB) copied, 5.66035 s, 190 MB/s

DOWNSTREAM SPEED

Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 934.90 Mbit/s (116.8625 MB/s)
UPSTREAM SPEED

Testing upload speed................................................................................................
Upload: 797.25 Mbit/s (99.65625 MB/s)
I would say those are far better specs.
With the old provider the system was almost always using 25% of the CPU spiking to over 80% pretty often. and using 1.2GB of ram.

now we are spiking at 4% and the constant is <0, ram use is at 750MB. So I am not 100% sure why the memory consumption has dropped but it has. and well the CPU thing is obvious if we were getting 4 cores at 2.5 ghz it must have been 80386DX cores (overclocked LOL)

What we have now is a dedicated server. There are no other people using any of the resources on this server. now the network speeds are going to be dependent on the uplink to the provider.

I am really sorry for this happening. I wish it could be undone. Unfortunately I cannot press the rewind button.

I am glad I got the forum back up and running. I will be figuring out what to do in terms of the attachments. I may dive head deep into writing a plugin repository at this point. It would be the best way to go about adding them back in.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

007craft

Re: HOLY SHIT WE ARE UP AND RUNNING

Post by 007craft » Tue May 28, 2019 9:33 pm

Thanks for all the hard work youve put in. I was trying to get a plugin working all day and had to struggle with searching through google cache results. The forums are really important with lots of important information.

I think the plugin repository is a good idea. It will be a lot easier to locate the plugins we need that way too! Thanks again

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed May 29, 2019 2:24 am

Yes the Forums are extremely important. even with the attachments gone it holds a HUGE amount of information. I still have a single hope left that the attachments might still exist. I am waiting for a reply from one of the other developers to see if they possibly have a copy of the entire forum. I know they were working on a modified version of the forum so that person may have them (i hope)

steve@rpad

Post by steve@rpad » Wed May 29, 2019 8:05 pm

Thanks for everything you do! EG is the heart of my system!
Thanx,

Steve

dan Edens
Experienced User

Post by dan Edens » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:30 pm

Kevin you are the man!

The new home page looks AMAZING. Seriously I really want to help out in some way, let me know. Been studying hard.
I'll tell everyone and their moms.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:17 am

the new page is OK.. it still needs quite a bit of work.

mans

Post by mans » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:47 pm

Kevin congrads on the new server and set-up.
This most have been a hell of a job !
Luckily the forum is back alive and kicking.
And i'm betting it's stronger then ever aswell,

Keep up the work !

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:59 am

stronger... yes..
at a price of course. the lost forum attachments is really is what is bothering me. I have been trying to extract something from the corrupted backups. But I have not had any luck. It makes me sooo angry because of the timing. if this same thing happened a day or 2 later it would not have been an issue. I had just finished up doing the research on a whole lot of different hosts. I had to find one that was going to be reliable, actually give the resources that were stated, and also not break the bank. and at the very least this host is only a 10 hour drive from where I live. so if something happens I will drive there and get the data. LOL.

and also. I do not know if any of you have noticed. But the ad banners are gone. So there is 0 income from ads. anyone wanting to donate please click the link at the bottom of any of my posts. doesn't matter if it is a single dollar.. every bit helps. I do have someone donate 50 cents tho. I am not sure if i should take that as an insult or not...LOL... or maybe it was simply what they could afford to donate. and I am grateful regardless of the reason why.

the old provider is now playing games. I have been reading some of the notices they have been sending out.. specifically one about their TOS. their servers are still not up and running. But if the monthly payments are not made then the customer is the one that broke the TOS and releases the host from any wrong doing.. So here is the catch with that. If you pay them. they are simply going to keep your money and probably never correct the server issues. and if they happen to correct the servers I would be willing to bet any data is going to be gone anyway. and if you do not then there is no legal action that can be taken.. How screwed up is that!

You gotta love how the whole legal system in the US works. reward the crooks and screw the victims.