best EG supported device for controlling TV + receiver?

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
007craft

best EG supported device for controlling TV + receiver?

Post by 007craft » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:18 am

I've been using harmony hub forever with IFTTT but recently they have decided to cut off the service and make it a paid subscription model. So I want to move my TV and Receiver onto eventghost. Now since EG doesn't have a harmony plug in and im told there never will be one from another thread, I want to replace my harmony hub. Right now it controls the TV, receiver, an HDMI switch as well as the projector in another room via an extension blaster I plug into the harmony hub and route into the other room. So what sort of hardware does EG support that does IR blasting like the harmony hub?

Medy
Experienced User

Re: best EG supported device for controlling TV + receiver?

Post by Medy » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:32 am

Atm Im not aware of a IR plugin for EG with that functionality...

I went with broadlink rm pro ... you can find plugins for smart home software like home assistant or iobroker
... The stuff is best put on a raspeberry pi ... but it also runs on windows ... so you can test what you like best before buying a pie

You can then caputure you Ir signal (record them) ... and then let the broadlink rm pro execute them..
you can do simple http request to contact the smart home software ... via a rest api plugin or smth (http:// localhost:8087/restapiSyntax/mycommand)

at least this is how I do it with iobroker ... I personally dont like home assitent but in case you are not from germany you should probably go for that .... since there is more support

But there are probably some options here that I dont know of ... so maybe wait abit ...
I tried writing my own plugin for it some time back ... but there was no working library for my particular model

Maybe I can give it another shot to see if it works now ... since there seemed to be some updates to that library .. : https://github.com/mjg59/python-broadlink ...
I will have a look at it later ..

Medy
Experienced User

Post by Medy » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:18 pm

007craft wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:18 am
I've been using harmony hub forever with IFTTT but recently they have decided to cut off the service and make it a paid subscription model. So I want to move my TV and Receiver onto eventghost. Now since EG doesn't have a harmony plug in and im told there never will be one from another thread, I want to replace my harmony hub. Right now it controls the TV, receiver, an HDMI switch as well as the projector in another room via an extension blaster I plug into the harmony hub and route into the other room. So what sort of hardware does EG support that does IR blasting like the harmony hub?
Hey man stay tuned ... I tested it jsut now AND the library WORKS for my device rm pro+ https://www.amazon.com/BroadLink-Automa ... B01GIXZDKO

the library states it has support for the newer models rm4 too....

So It is actually in my own interest to write this plugin. And so I shall

007craft

Post by 007craft » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:20 pm

I don't want to use a pi, some other Linux box or HA\some other software. Already have my windows server going with absolutely everything I need and EG running so much automation. Installing HA and having yet another platform just to send a few IR codes out seems like a whole waste of time. If you can make an event ghost plugin for your IR blaster, I will surely buy that device

Medy
Experienced User

Post by Medy » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:25 pm

007craft wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:20 pm
I don't want to use a pi, some other Linux box or HA\some other software. Already have my windows server going with absolutely everything I need and EG running so much automation. Installing HA and having yet another platform just to send a few IR codes out seems like a whole waste of time. If you can make an event ghost plugin for your IR blaster, I will surely buy that device
Alright consider it done ... I confirmed stuff works inside EG ... I can create the plugin

Medy
Experienced User

Post by Medy » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:31 am

007craft wrote:

Alright im working on the Plugin now. Im still not sure if it will work but we will see

It will be a good opportunity to get more familiar with python , threading , Eventghost Plugins, so I will take my time making it nice.
It shouldn't take forever ...

Once its done , I will create a Post in the Plugin Section , with the setup steps.

EDIT : Idk but my device is experiening crashes .... I openend a issue to find out what decices are actually tested .... meh
This seems really wonky...

Medy
Experienced User

Post by Medy » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:22 pm

Alright .. figured out the issue ...seems there is still hope ;) .... continuing

Medy
Experienced User

Post by Medy » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:55 pm

Alright looking good ... I have both IR & RF (LEARN and SEND) working on the rmpro+... in EVENTGHOST !

initally RF didnt work ... but luckely there was an open isssue already suggesting the fix :D
https://github.com/mjg59/python-broadlink/issues/397

Tommorrow I will look into savign the IR & RF Packages in eventghost ... and if this works ... there is nothing stoppig me from creating the plugin anymore :D

Edit : I looked into it ... and I need some help on this ... since I dont know the inner workings of eventghost myself.
Require a workaround or alternative to saving the data , that eventghost seems to have issues with.

Thats the last issue to solve ... everthing else works now

Sem;colon
Plugin Developer

Post by Sem;colon » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:02 am

What kind of data do you want to save?
Settings you set in the plugin configuration or actions are saved automatically in your EG config.
If you like my work, Image me a drink :wink:

Medy
Experienced User

Post by Medy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:24 am

Sem;colon wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:02 am
What kind of data do you want to save?
Settings you set in the plugin configuration or actions are saved automatically in your EG config.
Greetings

The data from the librarie''s discoverDevice() method contains the device info.
Saving that Data creates a pickling error in Eventghost.
It contains socket data.

The Library
https://github.com/mjg59/python-broadlink

The function that returns the data I want to save:
https://github.com/mjg59/python-broadl ... _.py#L114

Dont know how to aproach this issue.

Sem;colon
Plugin Developer

Post by Sem;colon » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:14 pm

Ok, I would keep things to save persistently to a minimum. For example you can run a device discovery on plugin startup and only store identifiers to the devices in the configuration.
I don't think it's even possible to store a complete object, limit it to strings, lists and dictionaries.

Let me know of that helps you ^^°
If you like my work, Image me a drink :wink:

Medy
Experienced User

Post by Medy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:20 pm

Sem;colon wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:14 pm
Ok, I would keep things to save persistently to a minimum. For example you can run a device discovery on plugin startup and only store identifiers to the devices in the configuration.
I don't think it's even possible to store a complete object, limit it to strings, lists and dictionaries.

Let me know of that helps you ^^°
Thanks for the reply.

I basicly would have liked to save the device info , in order to not constantly rediscover.

But I could do a rediscover at EG startup and not save the data ... I can see this work just fine.
Indeed.

If you say its not possible to save then this is the way to go .

Thank You Semi. That should do the trick for me.

Medy
Experienced User

Post by Medy » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:38 pm

007craft wrote:
Alright the plugin is on its way to completion ;) ....
I will see to it that I run some tests and refactor the code...

Happy to say it will come to fruition.
Thanks to the help of kgschlosser and Semicolon that helped me get unstuck a couple of times ;D...

I learned some stuff and on top of that, the plugin will be a nice addition for my home automation as well ;) ...

I must thank you for bringing this topic back to my attention ;) .
Learned alot and so I may be able to increase my plugin creation output ;D

Give me 1 or 2 more weeks and plugin should be rdy (I dont have much time during the week so I do the coding on the weekend)

007craft

Post by 007craft » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:02 pm

Thanks again for working on this. Stupid Logitech harmony and their "activities" have been the bane of my home automation. I get why they do it, because the average user needs a simple button to push, but being able to control each device individually and fire it off from any device or any way possible through EG is going to be fantastic.

Medy
Experienced User

Post by Medy » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:59 pm

007craft wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:02 pm
Thanks again for working on this. Stupid Logitech harmony and their "activities" have been the bane of my home automation. I get why they do it, because the average user needs a simple button to push, but being able to control each device individually and fire it off from any device or any way possible through EG is going to be fantastic.

Happy to help. Also I learned alot from this already

First version will be kind of experimental/ alpha ... I had to use some intermediate programming stuff I was unfamilar with .. so there might be possible error scenarios ...

May upload that early "developer" version ... by next week or maybe abit earlier

I may leave it in that state for a while since ... it will basicly work ...
But I will do a write up on how to use it (since its not really self explaining in this stage ;) )