Automatic WOL + Windows 10 Login

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
bobboviking

Automatic WOL + Windows 10 Login

Post by bobboviking » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:18 pm

Hi,

I have an ongoing home automation project and currently I'm trying to setup an automatic WOL + Windows 10 login sequence. I've installed the Android app Tasker along with some complementary plugins and what I'm trying to do is:

Using either the phone or my smart watch, say the command "start computer" which should result in:
* A WOL is sent to my home computer
* Windows will start and when booted, automatically log in

The voice command is translated by Autovoice/Autowatch app and the WOL part can be achieved using the Unified Remote plugin to Tasker.

But right know I'm stuck on the automatic log in part of Windows 10. I guess I just could disable the request of a password to login but I would prefer to keep that part for security reasons.

I've read somewhere that Eventghost maybe can be started as service (i.e. will be active before login)?

My question is, if Eventghost can be started as a service, is it possible for Eventghost to report that the boot sequence is finished and the lock screen / login screen is currently active? If so, I could carry out the login part using another app for my phone which itself is able to unlock Windows.
But today I can't do that since I have no information whether or not the boot is finished (since the boot time may vary due to Windows Updates etc).
Of course, if Eventghost is able to perform the login, that would be preferred. But it is not necessary.

I've googled and googled to try to find some information but no luck so far.
I would be super happy if someone could shed some light on this :D

Best regards,
Andreas

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: Automatic WOL + Windows 10 Login

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:52 am

it's a registry hack to set up the auto login..

are you logging into a domain or just the local computer?

and unfortunately you cannot start eventghost as a service i have tried it is not coded that way it will not function without the GUI loaded.

i believe it runs but then if you try to run it to open the Gui all kinds of bad things happen.
Last edited by kgschlosser on Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:53 am

In the Search box, type control userpasswords2, and then press ENTER. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Clear the Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer check box, and then click Apply.

In the Automatically Log On dialog box, type your password, and then click OK.

In the User Accounts dialog box, click OK.

After you restart your computer, you will be able to log on automatically.

these are the direction if you are not logging into a domain

the domain one is the reg hack to get it done.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:12 am

i am not sure and you may have to do alittle digging on this one but i am pretty sure i read somewhere it can be done.

using powershell have the machine login locally but i think a command has to be sent from another computer to do it.

hmmm....

there is a way.

ya gotta create a script that you tie to the task scheduler that will modify the registry to enable to auto logon, then reboot the computer to have it login locally. and another script tied to the local logon that would change the reg back to normal and stop the other scheduled script from processing.

it would be a timing thing. because the scheduled task that runs from boot you would have to say put like a 30 second delay on it, and if no one logs in locally within that 30 seconds then it would modify the reg and reboot. and since it would then login locally upon reboot before the timed script has a chance to run the login script would cancel the scheduled one and then modify the reg to not have the auto login.

huh.... that would work.

it's a huge security hole but if security is not an issue for you and also having to wait for the computer to change the reg and reboot then that's the solution

you would use the task scheduler to set up the registry mod to autologin

and you would use the group policy editor to set up the script to stop the scheduled task and to modify the registry to not autologin